Why so many blue songs? Oh well... here's another one, this time from Seatbelts with Yamane Mai on vocals, lyrics by Tim Jensen and orchestration by Yoko Kanno. This is the final song from Cowboy Bebop and the lyrics pretty much sum up the underlying metaphysical notions of the series. It is available on the third OST to the series, aptly titled Blue.

Never seen a bluer sky
Yeah I can feel it reaching out
and moving closer
There's something 'bout blue

Asked myself what's it all for
You know the funny thing about it
I couldn't answer
No, I couldn't answer

Things have turned a deeper shade of blue
and images that might be real
may be illusion
Keep flashing off and on

Free...
Wanna be free, Gonna be free...
and move along the stars
You know they really aren't so far

Feels so free...
Gotta know free...
Please...
Don't wake me from the dream
It's really everything it seemed

I'm so free...
No black and white in the blue

Everything is clearer now
Life is just a dream, you know
that's never ending
I'm ascending

As a side note, the final tag to the series, "YOU'RE GONNA CARRY THAT WEIGHT" is from The Beatles' "Carry That Weight/The End" from Abbey Road.

I've seen buckets of anime. Buckets. Never has the end to a series affected me so. I was so completely unprepared for what transpired during the last two episodes of Cowboy Bebop that I sat glued to the couch, trying to comprehend the full meaning of the events that had just happened. Sure, Evangelion was twisted and Escaflowne was sad, but the final curve that Bebop takes is at once beautiful and tragic. Whenever I hear this song (it's on heavy rotation on my Winamp list), I get the same teary-eyed blubbery feeling I got during the very last minutes of that series.