Monte Cazzazza is probably best known as the originator of the term "industrial" to describe a genre of music. As a friend of Genesis P-Orridge, frontman of Throbbing Gristle, Monte coined the phrase, "Industrial music for industrial people", as a joke; perhaps as a comment on corporate rock and the way records seemed to be produced in factories. This phrase became the basis for P-Orridge’s "Industrial Records" label, which would come to carry such industrial pioneers as Throbbing Gristle, Cabaret Voltaire, ClockDVA, SPK and Monte Cazzazza himself.

Monte created a reputation for himself by his crude behavior, ant-establishment antics and his predilections for pornography and gore. He was kicked out of the College of Arts and Crafts in Oakland where he created a cement "waterfall" down one of the main hallways. He attended the school for only two days. As another story goes, he burned a dead, partially decomposed cat on a dinner table at an art conference and forced the attendees to endure the stench by having a hired bodyguard block the exit. There are several other legends of Monte Cazzazza that include dead cats or parts of other creatures.

abridged Discography:
To Mom on Mothers Day/Candy Man 1979
Something for Nobody 1980
Monte Cazazza Live 1980
California Babylon 1982
Stairway to Hell 1982
The Worst of... 1992


(discography info found on www.brainwashed.com)