The Graduate, directed by Mike Nichols, was released in 1967 and starred Dustin Hoffman, Anne Bancroft, Katherine Ross, Murray Hamilton, William Daniels, Elizabeth Wilson, Brian Avery and Norman Fell. The movie was nominated for seven Oscars and won Best Director. It is ranked #7 on the AFI's Top 100 Greatest Movies. It is based on the novel by Charles Webb.

Running Time: 105 minutes
Rating: PG

The story revolves around a young man, Ben Braddock, (Hoffman) who, after graduating from school, finds himself confused about what to do with an affair with a sexy'n'cold woman- the infamous Mrs. Robinson, and his growing affection for her daughter. Perplexed about his future and unsure of what he wants in all facets, Ben represents many a young man (and woman) who have a tough time grasping what is expected of them and their futures. The storyline does a great job of making the viewer both love and hate Ben and his actions.

The music of Simon and Garfunkel works quite well throughout the movie. The film is loaded with symbolism- for instance, in the beginning, Ben gazes in wonder into a fish tank as Mrs. Robinson suddenly opens the door to the room, pouring light from behind her. Ben also tries out his new swim gear for his parents in their pool- we see his viewpoint through his goggled eyes underwater.

The most well known moments of the film are, of course, when Mrs. Robinson first "seduces" the nervous Ben, and the end scene where Ben disturbs a wedding.

A great movie in many aspects. One that should be seen.

Help for this node came from www.suntimes.com