This Gigantic Robot Kills is the sixth album released by MC Lars. It has fourteen songs featuring a wide variety of guest artists such as "Weird Al" Yankovic, MC Frontalot, Jonathan Coulton, and Worm Quartet. It was officially released February 24, 2009, with free posters signed by Lars himself sent out on the 20th for people who preordered.

The name of the album (and the title track) comes from Wesley Willis, who told Lars that he would be releasing an album called This Gigantic Robot Kills. Willis died in 2003; the album is named in tribute to him.

The track list as printed in the liner notes is:

  1. Where Ya Been Lars? A normal song (whatever that means) about what Lars has been doing since his last album. Not a lot I can say about it, though I like how it makes fun of mc chris.
  2. True Player for Real A lot funnier than the first song, but otherwise pretty similar, actually. Enjoyable, certainly. Fun fact: I heard "damn the man" as "Dan the Man" on my first listen, which really threw me off. (features "Weird Al" Yankovic on accordion and Wheatus)
  3. Hipster Girl One of my favourites of the album, probably. Obnoxious girl, lyrics that are sort of mocking as well as supportive, and very catchy chorus. I love how some parts seem to mock people that aren't into indie bands, and other parts do the opposite.
  4. It's Not Easy (Being Green) It should be obvious what this one's about just by reading the title, really. It makes fun of things that really aren't green as well as overzealous attempts to be green (for example, a person writing on his arm because trees are too important). Great song. Oh, and it makes fun of New Jersey. (features Pierre Bouvier of Simple Plan)
  5. This Gigantic Robot Kills The title track -- in ska form! Well, kind of. A boy named Billy loves ska and builds a gigantic robot to "make the city understand". Very hard to say what makes this song good. I don't like it as much as the previous two tracks, but it's still great. (features Suburban Legends and the MC Bat Commander)
  6. No Logo Typical MC Lars tribute to nonconformity, though more heavy-handed than usual. Quite obviously inspired by Naomi Klein's book and other such Noam Chomsky-type characters. The song has "No logo!" repeated a lot, which is replaced with "No homo!" at one point -- I have to give Lars credit for reading my mind on that one. (features Jesse Dangerously)
  7. 35 Laurel Drive Completely ordinary joke song with no undertones or anything. Plainly catchy, funny, and good all around. Nothing to complain about.
  8. Twenty-Three A serious song about suicide. I can't pretend that it isn't out of place with all the other funny songs on the CD, but I don't even care. This is a great, touching song. (features Amie Miriello from Dirtie Blonde doing a great job on the chorus)
  9. Guitar Hero Hero (Beating Guitar Hero Doesn't Make You Slash) This is a good song, but I can't stand listening to it after Twenty-Three. I can enjoy it properly if I listen to it on its own, though, and it really is funny and all that. It’s about a fourth-grader that thinks he's awesome because he plays Guitar Hero all day. I'm sure you can guess the message of the song for yourself. (features Parry Gripp and Paul Gilbert)
  10. O.G. Original Gamer Very, very weird song about a man who pushes his son to play video games because he wants him to become a professional gamer and bring in money. That's Jonathan Coulton in the chorus, eh? He does such a good job acting sad that it makes the song seem a lot more serious than you'd expect. A great job all around. (features MC Frontalot and Jonathan Coulton)
  11. We Have Arrived A big compilation mocking mainstream rap. This song is more like normal nerdcore than most MC Lars songs. I like it, but I think it's one of my least favourites on the album. Note how every guest on the song picks some shtick to talk about (video games, literature, etc.) except for K. Flay who pretty much just says "I like men." Real classy. (features K. Flay, YTCracker and the Former Fat Boys)
  12. White Kids Aren't Hyphy Boring. I just don't like it at all.
  13. Hey There Ophelia The longest song on the album, and it's about Hamlet. Incredible, just like The Graduate's Moby Dick song. The chorus, as usual on this album, is the catchiest part. I like the combination of colloquialism and almost-Shakespearean English.(features Gabe Saporta of Cobra Starship and Brett Anderson (from The Donnas, not the other one) as Ophelia)
  14. (Lord It's Hard to Be Happy When You're Not) Using the Metric System Not the greatest song musically, but I love the lyrics and I love the metric system. (features Worm Quartet)

In the end, though I think The Graduate is still the best album by MC Lars, This Gigantic Robot Kills is still a great listen. I recommend it to any nerdcore fan, and certainly any fan of MC Lars. It has all of the variety and fun that you would expect from a record like this.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.