Audio effect that makes one source sound like many nearly identical sources. This is what is being used when singers suddenly sound like they are singing with seven or eight of themselves. This effect can also be used with the guitar (on an effects pedal).

A dramatic tool used for exposition and general mood-setting. Makes use of one or more anonymous players who discuss the general state of affairs in the kingdom. They may communicate with the principal characters as well.

The Greek chorus is still used today. The example that springs to my mind first is the Newscaster who comes on to conveniently discuss an arrest/murder/election that affects the plot.

Depending on who's directing, members of a Greek chorus may hold multiple roles during a performance.

The Chorus in ancient Greek theatre played a very important role in a play. Their main role was to play the choral ode inbetween acts but they also gave a lot more to the theatrical experience.

They consisted of about 5-30 men who would sing (and might have danced as well). There were instances where women were used instead of men. In Euripides' Medea, Electra and Hippolytus the Chorus was probably made up of women rather than men since they suited the play better.

The Chorus were made up of amateur actors as opposed to the other actors in the plays who were semi-professional (there was only about 3 or 4 main actors in Greek plays since they used masks). The leader of the Chorus was called the Koryphaiois and it was this person which participated with the other actors in the play most of the time.

The play didn't start properly until the Chorus had come onto the stage (they arrive singing and dancing to accentuate their arrival). The part before the Chorus arrives is called the prologue and the last choral ode signifies the epilogue. The Chorus sometimes ends the play as well with a one or two sentence farewell.

The Chorus was the most expensive part of the play a lot of the time since there were so many actors expecting to be paid and needed a fair amount of training to teach them the lines/songs and dances and to get them all moving as one. This required a lot of time (thought to be about 11 months training) but once it was done the Chorus enhanced the play dramatically.

Functions of the Chorus

Cho"rus (?), n.; pl. Choruses (#). [L., a dance in a ring, a dance accompanied with song; a chorus, a band of dancers and singers. Gr. . See Choir.]

1. Antiq.

A band of singers and dancers.

The Grecian tragedy was at first nothing but a chorus of singers. Dryden.

2. Gr. Drama

A company of persons supposed to behold what passed in the acts of a tragedy, and to sing the sentiments which the events suggested in couplets or verses between the acts; also, that which was thus sung by the chorus.

What the lofty, grave tragedians taught In chorus or iambic. Milton.

3.

An interpreter in a dumb show or play.

[Obs.]

4. Mus.

A company of singers singing in concert.

5. Mus.

A composition of two or more parts, each of which is intended to be sung by a number of voices.

6. Mus.

Parts of a song or hymn recurring at intervals, as at the end of stanzas; also, a company of singers who join with the singer or choir in singer or choir in singing such parts.

7.

The simultaneous of a company in any noisy demonstration; as, a Chorus of shouts and catcalls.

 

© Webster 1913.


Cho"rus, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Chorused (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Chorusing.]

To sing in chorus; to exclaim simultaneously.

W. D. Howells.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.