Bob Mould was born in Malone, NY in 1961. He grew up in Minneapolis where, in his late teens he met Grant Hart and Greg Norton. The three formed the hardcore punk trio Husker Du. By the mid-80s, Husker Du had moved away from hardcore punk and more towards pop, yet still retained their furious energy and waves of fuzz from Mould's guitar.

After Husker Du's breakup, Mould released his first solo album, Workbook in 1989. This was followed by Black Sheets of Rain the following year. Around this same time, gay right's groups forced him out of the closet.

Hooking up with David Barbe (bass) and Malcolm Travis (drums) he formed the poppier band Sugar. Sugar recorded the albums Copper Blue (1992), Beaster (from the Copper Blue sessions) and File Under: Easy Listening (1994.) After Mould disbanded Sugar, the B-sides collection Besides was issued. It was also issued as a limited-edition with a bonus disc of an entire live Sugar show.

Post-Sugar, Bob returned to solo work and has thus far released a self-titled album in 1996 and The Last Dog and Pony Show in 1998.

On a more subjective note, Bob Mould plays the guitar like a fucking madman. Mike Dirnt of Green Day described Ministry's volume as "Like standing in front of Bob Mould's amp -- loud." He writes some incredible pop songs. The great thing about his love songs, break-up songs, and other songs about relationships is that they're gender neutral, and can be equally loved by all.