Liberty Enlightening the World is a giant copper statue standing on Liberty Island in New York Harbor. It is often called simply The Statue of Liberty. She has greeted newcomers to the United States for over one hundred years, since being presented by France on July 4, 1884. The statue was designed by Frederic Bartholdi in honor of the the United States' 100th birthday and of the concepts of liberty and democracy. The design of the interior structure of the statue (it being hollow, of course) was by Gustave Eiffel, whose name may look familiar as the designer of the Eiffel Tower. The statue was dismantled and shipped to New York in 1885 and the reassembly was completed in 1886.

The statue was a true colossus at the time. It is still impressive, although viewed against the backdrop of Manhattan, it is perhaps less so. It stands 151 feet tall, including the 89-foot pedestal. The figure herself stands 111'1" from head to foot; her nose is 4'6" long.

Visitors can take an elevator or stairs to the top of the pedestal, affording a nice view of both the Statue (no, you can't look up her robes) and of New York City. Stairs -- 354 of them -- lead from there into the statue's head, where 25 windows allow an even better view. Visitors used to be able to ascend into the torch, which is higher still, but structural issues have forced the closure of her right arm to the public.

Liberty holds a tablet in her left arm containing the text "July IV MDCCLCCVI". The inscription on the pedestal reads:

	The New Colossus

	Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame, 
	with conquering limbs astride from land to land; 
	Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand 
	a mighty woman with a torch 
	whose flame is imprisoned lightning, 
	and her name Mother of Exiles. 

	From her beacon-hand glows 
	world-wide welcome; 
	her mild eyes command the air-bridged harbor 
	that twin cities frame. 
	"Keep ancient lands your storied pomp!" 
	cries she with silent lips. 

	"Give me your tired, your poor,
	Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
	The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
	Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
	I lift my lamp beside the golden door!" 

	Emma Lazarus (1849-1887)