Amsterdam, die grote stad,
is gebouwd op palen.
als die stad eens ommeviel,
wie zou dat betalen?

Amsterdam, the big city,
it was built on piles.
if this city would fall over,
who would pay for that?
A popular nursery rhyme that I learnt growing up as an Amsterdammer. Although the chances for Amsterdam to tumble over are pretty slim, it is true that almost every building in the city is supported by piles to stop them from sinking in the muddy soil. For instance, the Beurs van Berlage; the old stock exchange building designed by the famous architect Hendrik Peter Berlage is supported on almost 5000 piles. Many buildings and houses along the canals still have their centuries-old wooden pile foundations. It is a very costly operation to have these piles replaced by modern ones.

History

Speaking of the canals (gracht, pl.:grachten), that is of course what Amsterdam is famous for (see also Amsterdam Canals). The four major canals go in wide semicircles around the Dam (or Dam Square), forming the city center. Historically, they were created in several waves of city expansion spanning a few centuries.

Amsterdam was formed at the end of the 12th century. It was a small settlement around a dam in the river Amstel (hence the origin of the name Amstelodamum, Amstelredam) at the current location of the Dam Square. Amsterdam received its city rights in 1300 or 1306 (exact date unknown).

The first serious urban expansions were in the 14th, and especially the 15th century. Most of the houses from this period were made of wood. There are still two houses remaining; a house on the Begijnhof (1425), and one on the Zeedijk (1550). However, many houses still have their original wooden frames. Larger buildings from this period were made of stone, such as the Oude Kerk (Old Church) and the Nieuwe Kerk (New Church). The entire city was surrounded by a wall, and a canal (nowadays at the location of the Singel). There are a few structures (gates and towers) remaining from this period: de Waag, Schreierstoren, the lower part of the Munttoren.

The most important period of growth for the city was the Gouden Eeuw (Golden Age), from 1585 (marked by the siege of Antwerp) until 1672 (French occupation). The city expanded drastically, and in order to accommodate the influx of rich merchants, the city limits marked by the Singel were expanded with extra canals (first the Herengracht then the Keizersgracht and the Prinsengracht). You can find many nice houses from this period along the canals. Also, the Koninklijk Paleis (Royal Palace, originally the Town Hall) on the Dam was built in this period.

The period from 1672-1795 was a period of economic recession for the Republic. France occupies the country for a short period in 1672, but after their retreat, Amsterdam remains neutral in the various wars that surround the republic. As a result, the city maintained its leading role in world trade.

In 1795, the French again occupy the country, and the occupation lasts until 1813. In this period, the economic recession leads to a population drop, and neglect of many historic buildings.

From 1813 until 1940, the city recuperates from the French occupation. The industrial revolution leads to an increasing wealth and population growth (referred to as the nieuwe Gouden Eeuw, the new Golden Age). In this period, the city starts expanding rapidly outside the limit of the canals.

From 1940 until 1945, Germany occupies the country, but fortunately Amsterdam is spared from serious bombings like they occurred in Rotterdam.

Coat of Arms

Three St. Andrews crosses aligned vertically:

|X|
|X|
|X|

The crosses are set in a black stripe, with two red stripes on the flanks. Two lions hold the banner and a crown rests on top of it. The origin of the Arms of Amsterdam is not clear. The black could symbolize the water. The three crosses either refer to the crusades of an important family de Heren van Persijn, or perhaps to the three disasters that Amsterdam endured in its history.

In 1489, Emperor Maximilian I allowed the city to carry a crown in its Coat of Arms, as token of appreciation for its support (Amsterdam was host to the Emperor during his illness). In the 16th century, the two lions were added to the Arms.

Queen Wilhelmina allowed the city to add the logo Heldhaftig, Vastberaden, Barmhartig (Heroic, Determined, Merciful) to the bottom of the Arms, because of its role during the German occupation.