I was going to be in some sort of marching band performance. It was the last minute and we were about to leave, when I realized that I didn't have my uniform. I ran to my closet (which was outside) thinking that I hoped I still had the uniform, although I haven't been in marching band for two years. Luckily, the uniform was there, although I had to hurry to get all of the pieces of it properly situated in its bag and find the hat.

It was late at night, and the band director was prepping the bus... although he turned into my father, prepping our family van. We were going to have to return home for the next night, then go back, he told me, as there was no place to stay in the town that the contest was in.

Then he dug a silver mine. There was no silver, just a tunnel underground that broke surface again. One of the hedgehogs we used as ambassadors stood at the end. "Greetings! Greetings!" it called. All of our hedgehogs from the other end came swimming (the tunnel was now filled with water), calling "Greetings! Greetings!" as well, and I was rather sad because we had only dug in a circle, and made no progress whatsoever.

It was 10:07, and marching band contest was at 11:30. We weren't going to make it. I felt like I fell asleep or something; when I woke up, I was inside an empty house full of windows that showed a turbulent rainstorm outside. My mother walked by, she had changed from her safari outfit to a long white thermal nightgown. I followed her, asking whether we'd leave. She told me "It's raining" and I kept telling her that driving at night in the rain wasn't a problem. She went to her bed and sat at on it, drawing her knees up and rocking.

"It's so cold again. Why is it so cold here?" she asked, disconcerted. I wasn't cold, and though I did feel sorry for her, all I could think of was that she was an idiot for not crawling under the covers if she was so cold.


My alarm clock went off: noon. I suppose that's what I get for waking up, eating breakfast and doing a little research, and then going back to sleep. Usually I can analyze my dreams pretty plainly, but this one is confusing. All I can get from it is an insinuation of disappointment, futility, and unsuccessful communication.