The Nintendo Revolution, this fanciful, near-mythical device Nintendo fanboys have anticipated with regular twitching and the staple of drooling. Well, I think there's a problem. Revolution! What a great name! Finally, Nintendo will rise up from the underbelly of the gaming industry with its motion-sensing controller and decade-spanning backwards compatibility. But hey, wasn't the Gamecube originally called 'codename Dolphin'? Ohh yeah, Revolution is the codename. No, we aren't having a revolution. We're gonna have a wee.

On April 27, 2006, Nintendo announced (this is pre-E3, oddly) that the final name of their next home console will be the Wii. Not the Nintendo Wii, just the Wii. Needless to say, very few are pleased. Nearly everyone found it impossible to believe, but on the official Nintendo website was a short video demonstrating the name. Wii is supposed to abolish the PS2/GCN/GBA/NES style name abbreviations, due to the meagre three letters. The I's are supposed to represent the controller. Wii is also supposed to mean 'we', As in the entire collective gaming presence, loving this piece of hardware. But Wii?

Some people have decided to call it the Revolution despite the announcement. That may not be necessary. Some websites have discovered that the name Wii, as a trademark, has not been registered by Nintendo (or anyone). It certainly comes across as suspicious that Nintendo would announce a name they don't yet own. These theorists have decided that Wii is a hoax, the real name will be announced at E3, and at that moment a global WTF will echo through the halls of the internet. But why, Nintendo? The possibility that 'Wii' is false is being held in Nintendo fanboy prayers across the board. Only time will tell, but please, PLEASE tell it like we want to hear it.

- - - - - - - - - - POST E3 UPDATE - - - - - - - - -

Wii stays as the name. Many nintendophiles are as always, reconsidering their primary impressions. Reggie Fils-Aime, vice president of sales and marketing for Nintendo America, addressed the E3 audience, explaining that Ninendo was fully aware of the reaction caused by the name, and are still optimistic about it.

Wii is due to be released in the fourth quarter of 2006, at an unspecified price, though it was hinted that whatever it costs, it will be lower than the competition. Works-in-progress:

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
Dragon Ball Sparkling
Dragon Quest Sword: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors
Disaster: Day of Crisis
Fire Emblem
Spongebob Squarepants: Creature from the Krusty Krab
Cars
SD Gundam G Breaker
Super Mario Galaxy
Tony Hawk Downhill Jam
Sengoku Action
Necro-Nesia
Excite Truck
Elebits
Red Steel
Rayman69
Super Swing Golf PANGYA
Sonic Wild Fire
Project H.A.M.M.E.R.
Finalfurlong Revolution
One Piece Unlimited Adventures
Madden
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicals: The Crystal Bearers
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (for Wii and Nintendo Gamecube)


The controller contains a motion sensor that allows hand movements to manipulate activity on-screen. In the eagerly anticipated 'Red Steel', slashing the 'Wiimote Control' will swing a sword in the game. A new feature introduced at E3 was the speaker in the controller that brings sound right into your hands, intregrating your real body much more. Of course, a rumble feature (a longtime staple by now) is included. One strange addition is the nunchaku controller that plugs into the bottom of the Wii-mote. Also motion-sensing, this piece is used with the left hand and holds a joystick and trigger.