Maybe you saw one in the bathtub at night and squished it. Maybe you turned on the kitchen light one evening and caught a glimpse of little brown torpedoes rushing to hide behind the refrigerator. However you found out, now you know: you have an infestation.

So how do you get rid of them? Especially if you share a wall with another apartment and the neighbors are total slobs?

Fancy chemicals won't work, because one of those suckers hiding in your wall is immune to it, and she'll survive and breed and you'll be right back where you started. It's the same sort of problem we see with antibiotics. (See the dangers of antibacterials.)

What you want is boric acid. It comes in powder form, possibly even in a bottle that you can squeeze to propel the powder out. Put it in the corners, under the fridge and stove, behind the shower, any place you think they might be hiding. They walk through it and it sticks to them, slowly drying them out. Meanwhile they go back to the nest and spread it there, killing others. It's just too simple for them to be immune to!

If you have pets or small children, you need to make sure to put it in places they can't get to. But that's okay, because the roaches will still go there!

If you want to be really nasty, mix it with powdered sugar before spreading it around, and they'll think the whole thing is food and scarf it down! But that's not necessary.

So throw away that Raid or Combat or whatever else you've got. They not only won't eliminate your infestation, they'll force the roaches to evolve, thereby improving the whole population! The old Far Side cartoon that shows roaches dancing in front of a mushroom cloud won't be too far off from the truth!