Character mentioned in the Beatles' song "I Am The Walrus" in the lines: "I am the eggman; they are the eggmen; I am the walrus!" The Beatles and others appearing in the performance clip of this song used in Magical Mystery Tour wore white, oval, egglike headpieces and white sack-like garments during part of this "video."

But apparently the word "eggman," before it was used in the song, was a nickname John Lennon applied to Eric Burdon of the Animals. His book Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood explains:

We had some great times together, something John gave a nod to in his song "I Am The Walrus." It may be one of my more dubious distinctions, but I was the Egg Man, or, as some pals called me, "Eggs." The nickname stuck after a wild experience I'd had at the time with a Jamaican girlfriend named Sylvia. I was up early one morning cooking breakfast, naked except for my socks, and she slid up behind me and cracked an amyl nitrate capsule under my nose. As the fumes set my brain alight, and I slid to the kitchen floor, she reached to the counter and grabbed an egg, which she broke into the pit of my belly. The white and yellow of the egg ran down my naked front, and Sylvia slipped my egg-bathed cock into her mouth and began to show me one Jamaican trick after another. I shared the story with John at a party at a Mayfair flat one night with a handful of blonds and a little Asian girl.

"Go on, go get it, Egg Man," Lennon laughed over the little round glasses perched on the end of his hooklike nose as we tried the all-too-willing girls on for size."

Though Burdon spells it as two words, "eggman"/"eggmen" are definitely spelled as one word in the liner notes to the Magical Mystery Tour album which contains "I Am The Walrus."

Sources:
Burdon, Eric, and J. Marshall Craig. Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood. New York: Thunder's Mouth Press, 2001.
http://www.serendipity-web.com/category/us/1560253304.html
http://www.epinions.com/content_33017007748