The Ute Indians, are native to Colorado, and many parts of New Mexico and Utah. The Utes had seven tribes, that lived over an area of 150,000 square miles. The seven tribes names were:

Mouache - Lived in Southern Colorado. Traded at Taos, they are thought to have been the first tribe to acquire a horse.
Capote - Lived in San Louis Valley and Chama, New Mexico
Weeminuche - La Plata Mountains, San Miguel Mountains, San Juan River, to the Abajo mountains.
Tabegauche/Uncompahgre - Lived in the Gunnison and Uncompahgre River drainages
Parianucs - Grand Junction to Vail
Uintahs - The Uinta basin, and the Uinta Mountains
Yampahs - Yampa River Valley

The Yampahs lived near Steamboat Springs (a pretty beautiful place I might add), Colorado, because it had many natural mineral springs. The springs were considered sacred, and a place of healing. The Utes lived off of the local animals, which consisted of bear, elk, deer, buffalo, antelope, mountain sheep, beaver, jack rabbits, sage hens, geese, ducks, wolves. They got their clothing, food, and homes out of the meat and their skin.

The Utes lived in tipis, they used twelve to eighteen semi-large sticks and put them in a cone shape. Then they covered the sticks with the skins of the animals that they had killed.
The Utes were very religious, in a way, today we would almost consider the things they used to be strange superstition. Their shaman, was a doctor or healer. The man would carry around a medicine bag full of special things to heal people. Some of the things in the bag were rattles, small drums, and deer tails.

Besides using medicine to cure people, they also did many dances. One of the most importances, was the "Bear Dance". The Utes believed that they were very closely related to the bear. The Utes called the dance "Momaqui Mowat", which is a very sacred and honored name by the Utes.

Utah, was named after the Utes and was taken from the word "Yuuuttaa", which the Utes called themselves.
The Utes have contributed quite a bit of history to us, it is a shame that they are stuck in reservations and can not run free across the plains and mountains as they once did.