By no means necessarily a "dumb thing to do" just because friendly-fire damage is on. I've totally forgotten that it's possible to rocket jump and NOT take a hit. I don't care because:

a. it is incredibly useful, for both navigation and escape (especially with flags, hehe).
b. there are healthpacks all over the place to get back that freshly-showered feeling.

Lots of maps tease you with a goodie like quad or blue health that you have to take a circuitous and perhaps dangerous path to get. Just RJ it! For the blue health you always come out ahead even with the rocket damage...

Note to Drac: rocket jumps with quad on will squash you flat against the ceiling. Do NOT do those unless friendly fire damage is OFF.

Advanced topic:
It is possible to steer in the air. Control is minimal, so if you are dealing with a railgunner, RJ with a very small angle of deflection between yourselves, ie. almost directly at or away from them. This maximizes the disruption your air-steering does to their aim. It also puts you on a great path to either lambaste the railgunner or GTFOOD.


Regarding optical mice: they suck for Quake and other shooters. 1500 samples per second is wonderful for Photoshop but wholly insufficient for the rapid motion of mice in an FPS. When whipped hard from one side to another the cursor does not follow the expected path but describes some weird cardioid and never gets to where you intended it. Strange but true.