compiled overview of the 20ton Fireball 'Mech, from various BattleTech novels and game sourcebooks:



While trying to formulate a strategy to counter the onslaught of the Clans, the Federated Commonwealth commanders held a series of talks with the designers at the New Avalon Institute of Science. The outcome of the discussions was a decision to build a light BattleMech that could support heavier units when they suddenly encountered Clan Elementals in combat. The Federated Commonwealth commissioned the ALM-7D Fireball soon after these debates and immediately dedicated some of the Corean Enterprises assembly lines on New Avalon to the new design.

Of the several designs submitted to the Federated Commonwealth Review Board, the 7D was the most promising. Because Clan Elementals swarm onto the battlefield in large numbers, the design called for a quick vehicle that could sustain a high fire rate for an extended period of combat time. The 'Mech was armed with a Hovertec Streak SRM-2 Pod and a Lindblad machine gun, both supplied with substantial ammunition. These weapons seemed well-suited to opposing Elementals, but the feature that most caught the eye of the review board was its speed.

The ALM-7D can run up to 184kph even without the dangerous MASC equipment. With a good gunner commanding the 'Mech, the machine could race across the battlefield supporting several heavier units.

To meet the needs of these combat conditions, the engineers incorporated the Corean B-Tech targeting and tracking system in the internal components, a system that had proven its effectivenaess in recent years. This system was also chosen because a substantial number was available at the New Avalon manufacturing site, thus eliminating lengthy delays for transporting components from other worlds.

The Federated Commonwealth plans to test the performance of the ALM-7D in front-line situations where veteran units will pit their expertise against the Clans. The new design will most likely be assigned to hot young piots because the Fireball's capabilities suit the individuality of many newer MechWarriors. The F-C High Command hopes that piloting a Fireball will help the rookies mature more quickly than they would in a heavier line 'Mech that has to submit to a more coordinated battle strategy.



Note: Information used here was the domain of FASA before they split the rights between Wizkids LLC and Microsoft (table-top gaming and video games respectively). Copyright of the fluff text is in limbo, but names of persons, places, & things are without any doubt the property of Wizkids LLC. Use of any terms here related to the BattleTech trademark are not meant as a challenge to Wizkids LLC's rights.