You are capable of more than you know

Don't mean to brag - but today, without thinking, I cleaned a jug of water by the neck with my non-dominant hand off the floor, flipped it in midair, slid my hand to the handle, caught it, and put it on the water cooler machine while carrying on a conversation. The guy I was talking to was goggle eyed, and it hadn't dawned on me that I'd just manhandled about 50lb of water with one hand in a practically effortless motion.

If I'd been thinking/known it was 50lb, I wouldn't have tried.

I've had that happen in the gym, too. I've lifted weight and gone wow, that was tough - and then realised that I'd miscalculated and moved about 65lb more than I thought I had on that bar, and a weight I never would have moved had I known what it was.

A while back I had a bit of paralysis when looking at a blank canvas. What if I screw this up? And then I started painting, and it started to take shape. Better than I thought it would. As one of my one-time teachers told me, "the important thing is to begin".

Of course, the inverse holds true. It's possible to completely mess up someone's life with some ill chosen words. Thankfully I'm not aware of having done that, but I've come to realise, in talking to someone, just how much a casual detail can hollow someone else completely out.

So on the one hand, it's a good, positive uplifting thing - you are capable of more than you know. But then again, that's also a warning - you are capable of more than you know.




In other news, I've asked a new group to be formed - E2Arts - for anyone interested in fine and applied art, or a fine and/or applied artist of any skill level and style. See you there!