Along with Gummi Bears, Rescue Rangers, and Tale Spin, Ducktales was part of the original Disney Afternoon. It involved the very wealthy Scrooge McDuck (cousin of Donald Duck) and his wacky adventures to get more money. He was usually accompanied by his pilot LaunchPad McQuack and his nephews Huey, Dewey, and Louie. Other recurring characters included the maid Mrs. Beakley, her niece Webby, the robotic GizmoDuck, and caveman Bubba Duck. The main villain was goth chick/duck Magica de Spell who was always after Scrooge's lucky number one dime. Other recurring vilains included the Beagle Boys and rival wealthy mallard Flintheart Glomgold. The show was very Indiana Jones-esque. It ran from 1987-1990 can often be caught in reruns even today.

The show also spun off into a movie, called DuckTales: The Movie - Treasure of the Lost Lamp. As the title implies, the movie was concerned the search for a magical genie lamp which could grant wishes. It was mildy successfull grossing 18 million in the US box office.

DuckTales the cartoon also spawned DuckTales the videogame for the original 8-bit NES. The game is generally considered one of the greatest platformers of the 8-bit era. It was above and beyond what was expected from a Disney licensed platform game. You played as Scrooge scouring the world for even more money. The levels included Transylvania, African mines, the moon, Aztec ruins, and a few others. Scrooge could wield his walking cane as a golf club or bounce on it for a pogo stick. Along the way all the Ducktales regulars showed up to provide help. GizmoDuck could blow up a wall, Mrs. Beakley would give you cake, LaunchPad could fly you around, and Hewey Dewey and Louie would provide gameplay hints. It all culminated in a battle with Magica DeSpell and a race to a giant diamond with Glomgold. What made the game so replayable was that it kept track of how much money you made and it was actually fun to go back and try to get more. The videogame was followed by a sequel, which was just more of the same. Not that that's a bad thing.