Astroly, god of the night, was unhappy. Not because of any mundane thing that gods become unhappy about, but rather a very large, very special thing. Thrope, the god of the earth and people, therefore the most important god, had decided to have a party on Earth. He was going to invite all of the gods, and so this would be a very large, and a very, very special party. Astroly had fallen into Thrope’s bad graces, because Thrope thought the night should be warmer and brighter, like the day, placing the world in two stages: day and dusk. Thrope is a good, kind god, thought Astroly, but he can be very stubborn. Anyway, he just HAD to get into Thrope’s good graces, and perhaps even save the calm and beauty of night. How could he impress Thrope that much?

Two weeks later, Astroly still hadn’t thought up any brilliant ideas. He considered making a rainbow appear during the night, but the moon did not give the right amout of light. The party was only a week away, and he had no ideas. He couldn’t think of anything to impress Thrope. He sighed, and went back to the now-ingrained routine of thinking up an idea, testing it, then throwing it away.... A couple of days later, a messenger owl appeared, and informed him that Thrope was moving the party four days later, because Thrope was having problems with the humans discovering fire. Thrope was planning on giving the humans fire during the party as a gift, so now he had to extinguish the fires. At this point, the owl started flying away, as he called over his shoulder : "And he's having some slight trouble..." One night, as Astroly was flying around the world, he noticed that ice, when hit with moon light, soometimes sparkled and shined. Oh well he thought. I can’t use it. Or can I? He quickly went over every scheme he had thought up, but none of them worked. Sigh. Maybe it would be best if I just gave up, he thought. I’m certainly not doing any work here and now.He flew on for some time, and pretty soon it was day. He didn’t like being in the sun, because it made him weak, but it wouldn't kill him. So, he flew on. Suddenly, he saw a glorious sight : a rainbow. Too bad rainbows can’t appear during the night. Then he thought of the ice, and stopped in midair. As his wings stopped beating, he plummeted like a rock, and only regained himself in the nick of time. With hopeful new thoughts in his head, he flew on to see Prismus, the god of light and rainbows.

Astroly was a tad slower getting home because he had a bit extra to hold him down, though his thoughts were bouyant, and he got to his abode in time to make a special surprise for all the guests. At the party, everything was going smoothly. Gods were getting a bit woozy, Thrope had given the humans fire, and some of the shows were spectacular. Amazing, really, thought Astroly. I hope they’ll be as amazed with my performance as I am with theirs. Time flew, as it does when you are enjoying any activity, and the air was starting to get smoky. “Hah! Maybe I gave humans too much fire!” shouted Thrope. Everyone laughed, for if anything, Thrope had only given one tribe one burning stick. Besides, they, and Thrope, were a bit drunk, and everybody knows that you just DON'T insult a god, especially a drunk one! And the alcohol was helpfully firing off nerve cells in their collective brains, envisioning horribly mutilating, cruel, and unusual things that Thrope could do in a drunken rage. Astroly noticed the smoke, and decided to see if the smoke helped or hindered his project. He flew up, set up his materials, and flew down. As he gazed up, he decided it actually helped his project. He flew up, took his stuff down, and then just as he got back, he heard his name being called by Thrope : “Astroly! C'mere down here and show us whacha got!” Obviously, drunk gods sometimes forget their grammar.

Astroly compliantly trudged back up, but before he set up his grand presentation, he called down to the gods to please not look up until he asked them to. There was a murmur of astonishment in the crowd, for it was not common for a god to ask anything of another god. They were usually very self-reliant. When the gods had resumed their chatter, Astroly started to paint the sky with the paints he had made. He was rather proud of these paints, for he had made them by taking the same paint that Prismus used to make rainbows, then crushing the ice that never melted into the paint, thereby getting a paint that would shine in the night. When he was finished, he called down : “Done!” All the gods looked up at once, including Thrope, for they were all eager to see what Astroly had done, for to keep the night, the show would certainly have to be impressive.

There was a collective gasp from everyone in the crowd, and then many started to grin, for what they saw was one of the most beautiful they had ever seen. It was like a rainbow of the night, and what was more, it was not just a simple, misty, tenuous arch that was hard to see, it was many curtains of shimmering, glowing, effervescent light that was very, very easy to see. When Astroly touched down, all the gods started to clap, and then suddenly they were silent. Thrope was pushing up to the front of the crowd, and when he got there, he stood over Astroly, his face was emotionless stone. Suddenly, he burst out in a grin, and everyone started applauding. Thrope bear hugged Astroly, and said “Mah boy...” slurring his words, "Ahm very impressed." He staggered slightly. "This night fire you've made is quite beautiful." He paused for a moment, and everyone held their breath. "My boy...you may keep the night!" The gods all cheered, for they liked Astroly and were fond of the night. That is how auroras are formed



Disclaimer: This is JUST A MYTH that I thought up for a project in seventh grade. For the real science behind auroras, see aurora