Let me start with a sentence from Dostoyevsky’s The Gambler – “I look upon the generally accepted opinion concerning the folly and the grossness of hoping to win at gambling as a thing even more absurd. For why is gambling a whit worse than any other method of acquiring money? How, for instance, is it worse than trade? True, out of a hundred persons, only one can win; yet what business is that of yours or of mine?”  The attempt here is not to address a moral question, but to find out the thought process by gambling.

 

The tendency to gamble probably indicates the subconscious identification of the fact that one can lose everything in the fraction of a second. It also addresses the remote possibility of being able to gain everything which has been lost in a similar time interval. The gambler derives a certain joy in this suffering, the continuous uncertainty which remains the most exciting, if not fearsome aspect of his life. Most of the technological advances made by humanity are attempts to limit the uncertainty with regard to health, transportation, communication etc.  However, deep inside the human mind, one knows the certainty of the uncertain flow of events in one’s life and that the only certain thing that man is assured of, is death. All the material progress in the world is intended to take care of the uncertainty in life, whereas the all the spiritual endeavours are to take care of the only certain element – the closure of life.

Gambling is one of the few activities in life which takes care of both the aspects – the uncertainty of winning and almost certain defeat. Wins during a gambling session does not excite the gambler as much as the disappointment during the losses, if one were to measure the excitement/contentment and the disappointment by proper scales. The losses make the gambler more determined to win, he will be determined to not make the most obvious stupid mistakes, just as a sick person is determined to get back to well-being by not going on a binge. Whereas, the wins give him the false impression that he is solely responsible for it and the false hope that he will continue winning.

The prudence observed by the ‘good gambler’ is seen by the ‘sincere gambler’ as cowardice, because the sincere gambler is almost always the fool and the loser. The sentiment which goes through his mind is probably “I have risked everything and you are reluctant to part with a small share of your fortune!”

Even if he were in dire straits, the proud person upon losing a gamble portrays himself like the General in Dostoyevsky’s The Gambler, who in one instance, rises from the gambling table smiling, restraining himself from venting his disappointment. For me the pretentiousness in front of the gambling table is the mother of all. Gambling being a miniature model of life itself for the desperate and the hopeful (“there is no despair without hope”), one who pretends in that setting is more likely to pretend before everyone including the person who he loves most. Here I talk about the desperate and the hopeful and not the indifferent because, I believe that  hell is the unbearable state of being indifferent to everything and I am not there yet.