Content Warning: This contains some fairly bad language. Actually, it is chock full of cursing, swearing, verbal abuse and severely irritating grammatical errors.

"Uh oh." Cricket is staring at a dim circle of metal lying on the flight deck; it has fallen there after we put one of the stabilators up and folded the tail. We were, up until this point, getting ready to pull the bird into the barn for the evening. Now this happens and blows everything out of the water.
"I'm serious, the goddamn thing is falling the fuck apart." I am standing in the smoking area relating the events of ten minutes ago to a slightly incredulous listener named Bill. Bill is the Navy's equivalent of a telephone repairman and works on the internal communications system onboard the ship I am riding around on, as if anyone didn't know that already.
"Whaddya mean, falling apart?" Eyeing me with what might be evident suspicion, then again it could be complete and total boredom caused by being awake at two o' clock in the morning.
"I mean, shit is falling off of the airplane." Exasperation.
"What fell off?" The same bored tone as before.
"Stab bushing."
"Is it important?"
"No, it only keeps the goddamn thing from going bugga-bugga-bugga and then flying off of the back of the fucking plane." I wave my arms around for dramatic effect; it fails to impress the intended audience.
"Hard to fix?"
"Nah, need some glue though."
"Glue?" Right eyebrow jacks up higher than the other in an evident display of interest.
"Yeah. Hysol. Strong stuff."
"You're goona glue the fucking thing back together?" The left eyebrow joins the right. "Jesus fucking Christ Yurei."
"Oh yeah." I grin madly at Bill betraying my own lunacy brought on by the sum of the square of the two sides of the triangle. On one side we have time left to the end of cruise, on the other we have the distance to the western coast of the United States of America. The hypotenuse is ridiculously long when viewing it from the ground. "Do it all the time."
"Remind me not to fly in that fucker."

"Yurei, it's not your fault." Next morning Scott and I are sitting on the fantail chain smoking cigarettes in equatorial sun. This is a form of behavior that I normally abhor however today is an exception. Not only that but the fact that it is ungodly hot coupled to the continuous loop of Bill Paxton's leering smile and patronizing voice spitting out 'yeah man, but it's a dry heat' helps nothing. "Seriously."
"Uh Scott, in the event you aren't aware of this already, THERE IS A FUCKING HOLE IN THE FUCKING BOTTOM OF THE FUCKING AIRPLANE." Screaming produces a few odd looks and then the inevitable settling back into conversation. Most everyone around here is well aware of my occasionally off-kilter behavior, so screaming about holes in the plane did not disturb the others around me in the slightest.
"Calm down Yurei, calm down." Scott attempts to be rational when there is a hole in the bottom of the airplane that you can see daylight through.
The hole has been caused by corrosion and I am not exactly happy about this at all. I found the hole this morning while getting ready to pull the radar antenna cowling off. This is a large circular affair about eight feet in diameter and a foot deep, commonly called the 'swimming pool' due to the obvious resemblance. I crawled under the left main mount, just forward of the tire (where I always start,) and glanced up toward the underside of the belly. There in the middle of an inch wide blotch of interrupted gray paint was a distended blob of olive drab metal. For starters, metal is not supposed to be olive drab unless it corrodes. Aluminum corrosion usually looks like a gray blemish on polished metal usually accompanied by a slight pitting inside the corroded areas. When this corrosion gets bad enough it will turn from something called surface pitting into something much nastier called exfoliation which occurs when the metal actually starts peeling apart like an onion. This causes the distended bulge on the bottom of the airplane that I am staring at in disbelief. Rather gingerly, as if defusing a large bomb with a hammer, I remove a six inch Gerber folding knife from the belt running around the waist of my coveralls, open it and then poke at the center of the olive patch. The point of the knife goes through the metal and disappears a quarter of an inch into the airframe. The aluminum skin of the aircraft is a sixteenth of an inch thick.

I remember being a kid and doing something stupid. Several of my friends and I were standing in an unkempt field near the tract development we all lived in on what was then the outskirts of Livermore, California. It was at the time, now from what I hear it is the center of what are the outskirts of San Francisco. Anyway, Neal, Dan, Neal's younger brother Kevin, my younger brother Seraph and I are sort of milling around in this field looking for something. When you're eight years old anything will do, you just need to find something moderately amusing to keep you busy for three hours until the street lights come on and then you are inevitably forced away from your newfound entertainment. (At the risk of dating myself one way or the other, my family had just gotten cable television at the time and it was considered a big deal in the neighborhood.) We found precisely what we were looking for in the form of a large patch of tomatoes growing wild near one edge of the almost square field. At this time I would like to mention that the edge of the field was actually a road. I would now like to offer the collected audience something of a rather simple equation.

We have:
A= automobile
R= road
T= tomatoes
P= projectile
M= =maturity
BI= blatant irresponsibility
EC= errant children
ET= excessive time
Where:
T=P
and
(T+(EC*ET))-M=BI
Therefore we can safely assume:
(A+R(T+(EC*ET))-M)=SOTFBIAROFECBPU
Given that:
SOTFBIAROCBPU= Screeching of Tires Followed By Immediate Ass Reaming of Formerly Errant Children By Parental Units.
Splat. Screech. "HEY YOU LITTLE FUCKERS." Angry man chase the Yurei and his friends whom having found their feet again, are running about as fast as they can towards their house. This unfortunately is an enormous tactical blunder on their part since the individual in the automobile began to follow them back to their houses. This marked not only this first time that I had ever felt a cold sense of fear due to something that I had just watched happen but also the first time I had ever been officially addressed as 'fucker.' Surprisingly enough this has occurred frequently since that occasion which makes me wonder if I had dodged some sort statistics prior to then.

Cold fear washes through me despite the heat and the humidity baking the flight deck as we near the equator for the second time this cruise. (The first of the two times was marked by something called Wog Day that is actually now an officially monitored Flailex and not anything close to what it once was.) I stare at the point of the knife receding from the skin of the helicopter and wonder what the weather is like this time of the year at Fort Leavenworth as this is probably where I am headed right now. One of our airframers looks at the hole, laughs, and then goes to find some tools. Eight hours later the fluorescent drop light we were using to work under the plane is unplugged and we begin the six hour wait required for the potting to dry under the new layers of metal. I still hate feeling cold in the middle of the day.
We're all tired. The birds are tired after having had nearly 1300 hours put on them over the last year. I sat down yesterday to roughly calculate the number of days I have been deployed since January of last year and came to the round figure of 300 out of 390. One month of hurried vacation trying to see as many people as possible, find a new apartment and get back into the mentality of being at work at home once again. Three weeks after settling into a nice comfy spot I was standing in front of the Bahrain International Airport wondering why it was that there was no one to pick me up and I was again being left up to my own devices with respect to getting to the boat. There was supposed to have been someone there, I am still bitter about that.
Since 1981, Sikorsky and United Technologies were of the opinion that the maximum life span of the SH-60B airframe would be 10,000 flight hours before they would need to be sent to the desert and broken in half. In 1998 then there was a 2,000-hour extension added to that figure to allow the airframes to fly to a total of twelve thousand hours before retirement. With the 60R program coming online the aircraft that we have now on this detachment will have their tails cut off, major wiring in the cabin/cockpit replaced and then sent back to the fleet with few other changes. The paint will be stripped off and a new layer will be gunned on in careful applications to be ruined by the first fleet wash job the plane receives. The patch beneath the radar cowling will still be there, the metal carefully bonded and riveted in place just as the manual says. They'll give the airframe another few thousand hours after the upgrade.

Imagine six months. Periods of half a year at where you work, live, eat and sleep in an area 500 feet by 75 feet. 350 other people live with you, 90 of you at a time in coffin racks three high and eight deep. The space from your chest to the metal of the rack above you is about a foot, enough that you can read a magazine through some interesting gymnastics. That is if your rack light works and you aren't so dead tired after a twelve hour shift that all you want to do is sleep for the period remaining until you're rousted for work again. This goes on for seven days a week with the occasional interruption for a port visit and the inevitable escape from work, assuming that it isn't a working port in which case your hours do not change at all. Typically you will spend between twenty-five to forty days at sea before you have a three to five day port visit and then after that it all starts all over again. After the first three weeks you settle into a mode where you work, eat, work, eat, work and then sleep. Everything runs into a blur, you forget to care what day of the week it is and profess amazement at the fact that another week has passed. People stop wearing watches all together due to the mechanics of the way the ship works, when you are less than a minute walk from work it becomes very hard to get stuck in traffic and be late. After three months you do not remember what it was like before you got there and actually fear going home in a small way because it will mean a break in the regimen. It all tastes the same, looks the same and you cannot help but wonder what happened yesterday. Last week becomes something of a myth so don't even bother trying to figure out what you were doing a month ago. Imagine six months.