Okay here's the deal. It is not a matter of intelligence, or beauty, or even that intangible concept of coolness. There are some people out there who are slack vampires. They don't often mean to be. Most people who are slack vampires don't know that they are, but they walk into a room and the light in the room just dims a little. They're rarely invited to parties by the same people twice. Y'know what I'm talking about?

I've had a lot of friends in my day but I'd get this feeling sometimes that something wasn't right. I'd be in a room and I'd feel the lights dim. So after awhile I'd drop those friends and make new ones.

Then one day I woke up and realized the truth. I was the one dimming the lights in the room. It is better to be lonely than to be with inferior people. It is also better to be alone, when you realize you're one of those inferior people. I think I'm doing the human race a favor. By the way, there is a difference between being alone and being lonely.

Added March 12th, 2002
I think it comes down to this. Can you change who you are to be less inferior in the eyes of those around you, or would you rather be alone and still true to who you are? The people who matter are the ones who stick by you, regardless of your decision.

Those who become superior in your eyes are people who may be inferior in the eyes of some, but accept you even though you're inferior. It takes awhile being alone to realize it, but you're not always gonna be lonely.