The Breakfast Club - 1984 - John Hughes

Running time: 97 minutes. Rated R (1).

Special features

  • Recommendations: Essentially, it's a static screen that tells you to buy more of John Hughes' films.
  • Original theatrical trailer: It's, uh, the orginal theatrical trailer.
  • Remastered with the original Motion Picture music: Probably. I was a year and a half old when the movie was first released, so I couldn't tell you if there was a difference or not.

Technical features

Having waited over a year for an Australian release to happen, I finally broke down and ordered this from Amazon. It arrived today, and, well, this is the slimmest feature set I've ever seen on a DVD. It's packaged in a plain black DVD case, inside of which is the DVD and a leaflet directing you at other 80s teen movies. The menus are fairly lean, although the snippets of dialogue that accompanies them (similar to the first season Black Books DVD) are just long enough to get annoying. There's pretty much nothing in the way of "features", unless you count the trailer and the "buy our stuff" screen.

The one thing I was really impressed with was the subtitles - instead of being where they usually are at the bottom of the screen, they overlay the characters when they're speaking. So if Bender is at the top left of the screen and Andrew is at the bottom right, their subtitles appear at the top left and bottom right of the screen, respectively. I've never seen this done before, and it's really, really cool.

More DVD reviews?


(1) This the actual MPAA rating. Movie may cause friendships between disparate social groups, or something.
(2) As far as I can tell, this has only been released in region 1. You lucky, lucky foreign devils.