It's showtime!
That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Showtime is a comedy film that spoofs buddy cop films that is directed by Tom Dey and was released in 2002. It was written by Jorge Saralegui, Keith Sharon, Alfred Gough, and Miles Millar. The film was released with a PG-13 rating in the US.

Mitch Preston is a rather serious detective that breaks some of the rules to get the job done. One night on a rather messed-up drug bust, he loses it and shoots the camera of a news syndicate. Soon enough, one of the high ups of the station is aiming for a reality cops show starring Mitch. Mitch has no choice in the matter, because if he doesn't go along with it, the station is going to be sued for endangering the cameraman's life.

Then along comes the unlikely partner. Trey Sellars is a cop that doesn't want to be a cop. He really wants to be a star! Since Mitch makes it a point that he wouldn't work with Trey in a million years, Chase Renzi, the show's creator, makes it a point to choose him.

Then it's on to the case, and shine at "eight o'clock on Friday night"... on Showtime!

Now, after all that shameless advertising comes my own solid opinions. Will this film make you get up and call author? No. Could you get a little guilty pleasure out of it as many did from Rush Hour? Yes. I had fun with the film, even though it doesn't even come close to my favorite comedies. The film moves quickly, and the jokes are good enough to pass by for the most part. It's not really a keeper, and not really worth seeing in theaters, but you can enjoy it.

We have two special cameo appearances, one from Johnny L. Cochran Jr. and another from William Shatner. Cochran appears as the lawyer of one of the smalltime criminals, and is mostly there for shock value. Shatner is lovely as himself, teaching the two cops how to be like him in T.J. Hooker.

Main Cast:
Robert De Niro - Mitch Preston
Eddie Murphy - Trey Sellars
Rene Russo - Chase Renzi
Frankie Faison - Captain Winship
William Shatner - Himself
Ken Hudson Campbell
Mel Rodriguez - Armored Car Driver
Jullian Dulce Vida - J.J.

Sources:
http://www.imdb.com/