Today was the start of my first vacation in about 1 year. I flew to San Diego from my home town New York, to visit the city as well as my girlfriend's parents. I had to go in to work in the morning but was able to leave early to catch my plane. After a long subway ride to JFK Airport, we made it to the Delta terminal.

Now, here's a nice thing: since my girlfriend's mother used to work for Delta, we get to fly on a "buddy pass" - a ticket that allows you to fly at less than half the regular price, and will get you into first class or business class if there are seats available. Yay! I had a comfortable flight to San Diego in First Class, enjoying a nice dinner and excellent wine.

Excellent wine, I hear the regular readers ask ... Yes, I put my July 4, 2001 resolution to stop drinking on hold for a week during my vacation. I could not resist the nice Merlot that was offered on the flight, and I also knew that part of my vacation would be spent in Las Vegas, where it's almost impossible to avoid having a drink here and there ... Well, maybe not impossible, but when a scantily clad coctail waitress offers you a free drink, it's just so hard to decline. Maybe it's weak, but I decided to enjoy my vacation and have a few drinks. I'll be good again when I get back home.

Anyway ... Nice, comfortable flight to San Diego, landed and was picked up by aforementioned girlfriend's parents, who are totally sweet if slightly weird.

My first impression of San Diego was very positive. Looks like a gorgeous city with the most beautiful weather I ever experienced. So very, very different from New York!

After we got to their house, we pretty much went to sleep immediately. More tomorrow...

Hey, not bad for Friday the 13th!