The morning prayer service in Judaism. From the Hebrew root "Shachar" which means "dawn".

Shacharit is the longest of the 3 regular prayers in the day. It consists of the following key sections.

  • "Birchat HaShachar" - a series of Brachot blessing G-D for things such as...
    • Who has given man the ability to distinguish between day and night.
    • Who has not made me a slave.
    • Who gives sight to the blind.
    • Who releases the imprisoned.
  • Korbanot - A series of paragraphs from the Mishnah that talk about the daily sacrifices in the Temple.
  • P'sukei D'zimrah - Literally "Verses of Phrase". A series of Psalms that praise G-D. This section is expanded on Shabbat and festivals.
  • Bor'chu - "Blessed is the Lord, the Blessed on". A central declaration of faith in G-D. This part is only said if praying with a Minyan.
  • Shema - Paragraphs from the Torah which contain some of the key things about being Jewish.
  • The Amidah.
  • The Amidah is repeated if a Minyan is present.
  • Tachanun - A short prayer asking G-D for forgiveness.
  • Kriat Hatorah - reading from the Torah - on Mondays, Thursdays, Shabbat, festivals and fast days.
  • Aleinu - a prayer where we simply express G-D's greatness.

On a regular weekday, Shacharit takes between about 20 and 45 minutes depending if there is Kriat HaTorah, and how quick the person leading the prayers goes. It is significantly longer on Shabbat and festivals. Men over Bar Mitzvah age wear Tefillin and married men wear a Tallit.

See also Musaph - the additional service on Shabbat and festivals, Minchah - the afternoon service and Ma'ariv - the evening service.