' There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world; and that is an idea whose time has come.'
Victor Hugo

World peace... A dream, hope, prayer, and desperate cry of many. Something that many consider a foolish vision in the turbulent times of crisis, war, and terrorism.

Peace One Day is the vision of British filmmaker Jeremy Gilley. A vision which is gradually becoming a reality, and which will hopefully increase the chances that this world will one day be at peace. Proof that one man can make a difference; Peace One Day is a concept which has expanded into an international body dedicated to bring about an end to war and the suffering associated with it. How? One symbolic day at a time. Thanks to the work of this organisation the first ever day of global ceasefire and non-violence took place on Saturday 21st September 2002.

' We must make every effort for the promotion of peace. '
His Holiness The Dalai Lama

Three years ago a man had a dream. His dream was to discover if an individual could create the first global ceasefire day in history. Peace One Day was launched at Shakespeare's Globe Theatre in London, September 1999. An idea.. The dream of one man now has the active support of governments, Nobel Peace Laureates, religious organisations, UN agencies, and millions upon millions of adults and children alike around the world. The 21st of September is now anually celebrated around the world, with the major celebration at the Brixton Academy in London web cast live from www.peaceoneday.org. The Brixton Peace One Day celebration in 2002 featured the likes of musical acts such as Faithless, 1 Giant Leap, Zero 7, Jimmy Cliff, and Neneh Cherry. A special statement from His Holiness The Dalai Lama was read by none other than Annie Lennox. Video addresses were presented from UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan, and Moby, amongst others. On the night Peace One Day was aware of activities in over 50 countries around the world, 20 at governmental level. After coming so far in such a short period of time, just imagine how much more good we can do!

'Peace One Day is independent, apolitical, non-sectarian organisation, it has no affiliation to any governmental, non-governmental, regional or religious organisation.' But what it is, is a cry to the people of the world, asking them to celebrate and honour the United Nations International Day of Peace; a day of global ceasefire and non-violence.

Isaac Asimov once said that violence is the first refuge of the incompetent... Joined together as one we have no such excuse. Peace One Day represents an opportunity for a moment of global unity to be created by the people of the world. So take a look around. Pick up your hopes and dreams from the dirty floor. Brush them off. And realise that if we work at it there is a high possibility that there will be peace one day.

‘ Imagine all the people living life in peace. You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. I hope someday you'll join us, and the world will live as one. ’
John Lennon


Check out www.peaceoneday.org for additional information, or to see how you can get involved.