What Becomes of the BrokenHearted - (reaching for death)

“A suicide is an earth-shaking event. It rocks the lives of those nearby and sends innumerable tremors through people close and distant. Yet our society quells much discussion on the subject, and those shaken have few places to turn.”

Depression is a disease much similar to AID’s or Cancer, and is even seen to some as the killer disease of the 90’s. Most, however don’t see it as such. Depression is the major cause of suicide; and yet one of the most commonly ignored, and untreated diseases in our world today. People are dying! Something has to be done.

Often depression is just pushed to the side, and becomes invisible. Maybe doctors are right in saying that depression doesn’t cause death; but we shouldn’t close our eyes to the pure, simple fact that it often does lead to death.

There is a common misconception that talking about suicide will give others the idea. This is not true! The link between depression and suicide should be brought out into the open, instead of being locked away from the publics eyes. The reality is that people deserve to know, so that they can help to prevent suicide, and depression too if possible.

“There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is suicide. Judging whether life is or is not worth living amounts to answering the fundamental question of philosophy.”
-Albert Camus

Suicide is the leading cause of unnatural death – of both young and old people – in today’s society. When life seems too much, to many, death seems the only option. In actuality, it shouldn’t even be considered… but we should not focus on that, and focus on helping those who feel like they have nothing left to live for.

“I see many people dying because they judge that life is not worth living.”
-Albert Camus

The Statistics and Facts:

Over 100,000 suicidal deaths are reported world wide each year, with untreated depression being the number one cause.

Common misconceptions:

    ‘People who talk about suicide won’t really do it’-
    NOT TRUE
  • Most people who threaten, or talk about suicide are serious. They feel that death is the only option, although they often don’t want to go through it. Talking about it, is reaching out for help.
    Almost everyone who commits, or attempts suicide has given some clue or warning. Do not ignore suicide threats. Statements like "you'll be sorry when I'm dead" or "I can't see a way out", -- no matter how casually or jokingly said may indicate serious suicidal feelings.
    ‘People who commit suicide are people who were unwilling to seek help’-
    NOT TRUE
  • Studies of suicide victims have shown that more then half had sought medical help within six month before their deaths. Suicide is a last resort to people, when nothing else has worked to make life better, and everything gets too much for them to handle.
    ‘If a person is determined to kill him/herself, nothing is going to stop him/her’-
    NOT TRUE
  • Even the most severely depressed person has mixed feelings about death, wavering until the very last moment between wanting to live and wanting to die. Most suicidal people do not want death; they want the pain to stop. The impulse to end it all, however over-powering, does not last forever.

Teen Suicide: The latest statistics tell us that two thirds of high school students will think about killing themselves before Graduation. In an average class of thirty, four will make an attempt.

‘Somewhere in the frantic trying on of adult identities the self gets lost.’

There is a common belief that high school is the time of our lives. Although if you ask, many adults will tell you that they wouldn’t want to relive those years for anything. For many the struggle for identity and independence can be a very painful one.

Masked emotions:

People suffering from depression often become experts at hiding their emotions from friends and even family. They put on masks, sometimes even to the extent of acting too happy. And don’t take this the wrong way, more often or not the person does want help, you have to realize that they are suffering through depression. They hate being unhappy to the extent that they are, but it must also been seen how difficult asking for help can be for most people. In the case of depressed people, asking for help can be even harder than for a normal person, some don’t have the courage to do so; others just don’t know how.

Three simple keys: Love, Support and Understanding

The reason behind acts should be looked into, and not just taken for what people think is obvious, mostly the obvious isn’t the truth at all.

The key is listening, and trying to support the depressed as much as possible. I think that not knowing how slight things can effect a depressed person, most people ‘only trying to be objective’ tend to cause more harm than good.

I remember people trying so hard to understand me, but not succeeding. Sometimes this was because they hadn’t ‘been there’ themselves, but mostly they went about trying to help the wrong way, only to push me deeper into my hole of darkness.

‘Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem’

Life is a truly beautiful gift, but to many it can be more of a nightmare at times than a dream. When a person feels that there is no solution to life than death, something is wrong.

Suicide is the major cause of teen deaths in the world, and without understanding, all these statistics can do is grow. Depressed people have a rock bottom self esteem, they need love, understanding, trust, support, and an ever so gentle prod of guidance and wisdom. With this combination most (not all) will never feel the need to go as far as to embrace the permanent solution to depression.