Many, many people fail to realize that alcohol is a really, really nasty drug. Not unlike a young male, it has a habit of acting out when in the company of it's peers. As it is legal, however, people will often drink without first stoping to think about whether or not it's going to do Very Bad Things in the company of medication they may be on. Alcohol can inhibit prescribed medication, preventing them from functioning.... But it can also react negatively with many over the counter drugs, and things like iron supplements that we traditionally regard as being harmless. The following has been adapted from a pamphlet put out by The Nebraska Council to Prevent Alcohol and Drug Abuse. as per the notice on the original, I must inform you that you are encouraged to reproduce/copy the information contained in this node.

Without further ado, here are results of combining alcohol with various common medicinal drugs/supplements.



    Sedatives
  • (Valium, Aativan, Xanax, Serax, Buspar, etc.) Decreases alertness and judgement and can lead to household accidents and automobile crashes. This is an especially dangerous combination which may be fatal.


  • Over-the-Counter Painkillers:
  • (Aspirin, Bufferin, Excedrin,Anacin, Alka-Seltzer, etc.) Increases stomach irritation and the potential for bleeding in the stomach.
  • (Acetaminophen, Tylenol, etc.) Increases the possibility of liver damage.
  • (Non-steriodal drugs, ibuprofen, Motrin, Advil, ketoprofen, Orudis, naproxen sodium, Aleve, etc.) Increases stomach irritation, and the potential for bleeding in the stomach, and the potential for liver damage.


  • Prescription Painkillers:
  • (Non-steroidal drugs: ibuprofen, Motrin, naproxen sodium, Anaprox, naproxen, Naprosyn, Toradol,Voltaren, Orudis, Daypro, etc.) As above, increases the irritation and potential for bleeding in the stomach and the potential for liver damage.
  • (Narcotics:codeine, Demerol,Darvon, Darvocet, Ultram, Percodan, Percocet, Tylox, Lartab, hydrocodone, etc.) Decreases alertness and judgement, and can reduce brain functioning, leading to the loss of effective breathing and possible death.

    Timed-release or Enteric-coated Drugs:
  • ( Contac, vitamins, iron supplements, enteric coated aspirin, etc.)Alcohol can dissolve these protective coatings allowing and immediate release of the full dose of medicine rather than spreading it across serveral hours. This can result in damage to the stomach.

    Stimulants:
  • (Weight loss products, Dexedrine, caffeine, Ritalin, Benzedrine, methamphetamine, ephedrine, MaHuang, etc.) Stimulants may give the drinker a false sense of control and alertness. Stimulants do not improve functioning or help you to gain control. You end up awake and drunk, not sober.

    Sleep Aids:
  • (Over-the-counter: Tylenol PM, Sominex, Nytol, Quiet World, etc.) Most of these drugs are antihistamines. Alcohol will increase the sedative effect of these drugs and can lead to increased household accidents and automobile crashes.
  • Prescriptions: Dalmane, Halcion, Restoril, Seconal, Ambien, etc. This can be a fatal combination resulting in respiratory failure, coma, and possible death.


  • Cough, Cold, Allergy, and Motion Sickness Products:
  • (Actifed, Contac, Dristan, NyQuil, Dimetapp, Benadryl, Dramamine, Bonine, etc.) All of these products may contain antihistamines which, as described above, can cause increased sedation and loss of functioning when combined with alcohol.


  • Antipsychotics:
  • (Stelazine, Mellaril, Thorazine, Prolixin, Clozaril, Haldol, etc.) This combination should be avoided at all times. Mixing these drugs with alcohol may result in severe impairment, difficulty walking, thinking, and driving. This combination may also result in liver damage, coma, or death.


  • Diuretics or "Water Pills":
  • (Lasix, Dyazide, Maxide,Bumex, etc.) Mixing alcohol with Diuretics often causes extreme dizzyness, balance problems.


  • Anitcoagulants or "Blood Thinners":
  • (Coumadin, Lovenox, Heparin, etc.) Alcohol increases the ability of these drugs to slow clotting. This can lead to life-threatening bleeding. In people who drink all the time, these drugs may not work as well as they should.


  • Antidepressants:
  • (Prozac, Wellbutrin,Zoloft, Elavil, Tofranil, Sinequan, Luvox, Nardil, Parnate, etc.) Alcohol is a depressant. Combining alcohol with antidepressants will keep the drug from doing its job. Certain anticonvulsants, when combined with alcohol, can lead to life-threateningly high blood pressure.


  • Antidiabetic Drugs:
  • (insulin, Diabainese, Glucotrol, Micronase, Orinase, Precose, Glucophage, etc.) Alcohol has severe and unpredictable reactions when mixed with these drugs. Drinking alcohol makes it very difficult to control blood sugar. Patients with diabetes should avoid drinking alcohol.


  • Anitibiotics:
  • (penicillin, ampicillin, tetracycline, Flagyl, erythromicin, Bactrim, etc.) Interactions between alcohol and antibiotics vary a great deal. Always ask your pharmacist before using alcohol with antibiotics.



  • I did this rather late at night, so if something doesn't sound right/make sense please msg me.