At the moment Wembly stadium is a crumbling concrete embarrassment set in the middle of a suburban London wasteland. Due to cost cutting measures in the past Wembly stadium is a shadow of it's former self despite the glamour of the imposing twin towers.

But all of this is about to change - Thanks to a national lottery grant Wembley is going to be demolished and rebuilt in time for the 2003 FA cup final. The new stadium will house 90,000 people (an increase by 10,000) in a bowl that will be acoustically tuned for maximum atmosphere. Unlike many new national stadiums the stands will be as close to the touchline as possible. There will be a removable athletics track - provided in the hope of capturing major athletics events such as the Olympics. Wembley stadium will feature a retractable roof, Thus allowing maximum shelter for spectators in bad weather but also sunlight coverage for the whole pitch in nice weather (Allowing better T.V. pictures).

As for the fate of the infamous twin towers - they will most likely be demolished. The new stadium will feature a 133 metre high arch (compared to the 38.4m of the towers) angled roughly at 30 degrees from the vertical instead. This arch should be high enough to be visible from across London. There has been a lot of criticism against the decision to not include the twin towers but they are made from a weak material (something like plaster I believe) and so would be very costly to move. Even so, Wembly National Stadium Limited have accepted an offer of 302.98 GBP for the towers from Seaton Town Football Club for inclusion into their new 1000 seater stand. Unfortunately this small club has yet to come up with the 30 million GBP needed to move the towers.