Many people believe that there is an underlying tension between skiers and snowboarders, and indeed, there sometimes is. Here are some tips you can bone up on to prepare for the day you find yourself in a skier vs snowboarder flamewar.

The skiers' complaints

(Snowboarders' response in italics)

  1. Snowboards are dangerous because, unlike skis, they don't release in a fall.

    Snowboards are attached to both legs, and therefore do not create as much twisting force (which is what breaks legs and knees) as a single ski attached to only one leg.

  2. Snowboards are dangerous because, unlike skis, they don't have a "brake" to stop them sliding down the mountain if they release.

    But they don't release, remember?

  3. Snowboarders are dangerous and out of control. They crash into skiers.

    If this is truer for snowboarders than for skiers it can be explained by the different demographics of the two sports. Snowboarders will more often be younger, male, and have been doing the sport for less time. These are all strong indicators for dangerous and risk-taking behaviour.

  4. Snowboarders are rude and swear a lot. They can be aggressive and threatening.

    Same as above. And what about this patronising attitude you seem to have?

  5. Snowboarders scrape off all the soft snow, ruining the snow quality.

    Novice snowboarders and skiers scrape off the soft snow. The issue is lack of skill, not the type of equipment.

  6. Snowboarders cut wide tracks through the powder, ruining the snow quality.

    It's true. Get used to it.

  7. Snowboarders are always sitting down on the slope, getting in the way.

    Snowboarders sit on the snow because, unlike skiers, they can. But only the unthinking ones sit in inconvenient or dangerous places, just as unthinking skiers stand in the way of snowboard jumps.

  8. Snowboarders make wide turns that take up the whole slope, getting in the way.

    Somewhat true. Get used to it.

  9. Snowboarders clog the lift exit and entry areas as they always take a long time to strap in and out of their bindings.

    True, but it's no big deal.

  10. Snowboarders wear ridiculous baggy clothes.

    They did a couple of years ago, when it was in fashion. But for real crimes against fashion, what about the one-piece suits that skiers wear?