Buck Rogers first appeared as Anthony Rogers in a novella, "Armageddon-2419 A.D." by Philip Francis Nowlan, published in the August 1928 issue of Amazing Stories, with illustrations, which may have sparked interest in creating a comic strip (1929).

With its popularity in the newspapers, it wasn't long before Buck Rogers appeared on the radio. In 1932, CBS ran 15 minute episodes four nights a week from New York. Scripts were written by some of the strip's original creators, including Philip Nowlan and Richard Calkins. Buck himself was voiced by several actors (including Matt Crowley, Curtis Arnall, Carl Frank and John Larkin ) during the show's original seven year run, though Adele Ronson was Lt. Deering the whole time. The show offered promotional items like a map of the planets or a cardboard space helmet, provided of course you sent in a proof of purchase from the sponsor's product (Kellogg's was the sponsor in 1932, then Cocomalt took over until '35, when Cream of Wheat brought you Buck each night. Later, Popsicle would be a sponsor in bringing the show back to the airwaves in the 1940s).

Meanwhile, by 1939, Larry "Buster" Crabbe had finished two Flash Gordon serials as was looking for new material. The scenic artists probably were looking to recycle the costumes and rocket ship on strings as well. Crabbe took on the role of Rogers, with Constance Moore as Deering. New writers were brought in, making the film version a bit different from the comic strip (and ensuring the use of all those costumes and sets on hand). The twelve episode Buck Rogers serial was later edited and released as Buck Rogers: Planetary Outlaws and Buck Rogers: Destination Saturn. Crabbe would later make an appearance on Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, but as as Brigadier "Flash" Gordon. (Original air date 9/27/79)