The structural differences appear to be in the cerebral neocortex of the brain. According to Albert Galaburda and Thomas Kemper, pioneers in the study of brain structure and its relation to dyslexia, the problem stems from "ectopias," neurons that migrate past where they are supposed to and into the outermost layer of the cerebral neocortex. This area usually has no nerve cell bodies, and the presence of these seems to disrupt the neural organization of the brain. The damage reverberates and the changes in organization of neural networks spread to other areas. In the end, the brain appears to reorganize its thinking patterns in such a way that language is much more difficult to process.

The damage appears to be different in females and males, with males having more ectopias (these are also called nodules in some books) and women less so, although they showed other evidence of "neuronal loss" in the cerebral cortex.

These nodules occur during embryonic development, and their cause is unknown, although many believe it to be genetic, perhaps having to do with chromosome 6.

Much of this was adapted from an International Dyslexia Association article. Most books discuss the fact that structure plays into it, but few have any specifics. http://www.interdys.org/servlet/compose?section_id=5&page_id=47