A generally treatable condition resulting from a overdose of copper. Possible sources of copper include:

Symptoms of acute copper poisoning include:

Symptoms of long term copper overexposure include:

  • Hair loss
  • Infertility and problem pregnancies
  • Early PMS, and possible stoppage of menstruation altogether.
  • Prohibits you from losing weight no matter what you do.
  • Makes you more vulnerable to viral infections.
  • Can lead to dyslexia
  • Kidney and liver damage (only in extremely high amounts)
  • Death (also only in very high amounts)

How to treat copper poisoning

The normal treatment is to induce vomiting unless the patient is unconscious or experiencing convulsions. If a large amount of copper is ingested, a emergency room trip may be needed. If so the usual steps they might perform include:


If treated promptly and properly, copper poisoning is rarely severe. If toxicity is due to long-time accumulation, the ultimate outcome depends on the extent of damage in body organs affected by the metal.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.