The Durandal was developed in the 1970's by MATRA in response to the French Air Force's requirement for an anti-runway weapon for use in high speed, low flying aircract. The weapon had to offer a high probability of runway cratering, which is the prefered method of making a mess of someone's nicely paved runway. Cratering is much more difficult to repair other types of damage, making the aftermath of the party that much more problematic.

The resulting weapon has a relativly odd method of use. It is dropped from an aircraft traveling between 400 and 640 mph (640 and 1030 kph), at a height of at least 195 ft (60 m). Upon release, the weapon deploys a two parachutes to slow it to approximately 56 mph (90 kph). At this point, with its nose pointed downward, a solid fuel rocket motor fires and accelerates the weapon to 550+ mph (890+ kph). Upon impact, the hardened steel nose penetrates the runway (up to 15 inches (30 cm) of concrete) and detonates its 330 lb (150 kg) high explosive warhead. In the mean case, the charge creates a crater 16 ft by 6 ft (2 m by 5 m). There is usually fracturing of most concrete within an area 300 square yds (251 square metres) from impact.

This weapon is in use with at least 11 countries other than France, including the United State of America. In the USAF inventory it is designated BLU-107. It entered service with the Air Force in the 1980's, after testing with the Air Force Rocket Propulsion Laboratory in 1982. Even so, it first deployment wasn't until 1988 with the 20th Fighter Wing during Exercise Red Flag. The 20th Fighter wing was also able to use the weapon to great effect during Desert Storm, flying F-111's from Turkey.

Specifications:

  • Manufacturer: MATRA
  • Weight: 450lbs. (205 kg)
  • Length: 8 ft. 2in. (2.5 m)
  • Diameter: 8.7 in. (22 cm)
  • Guidance: Unguided
  • Propulsion: solid-fuel rocket
  • Performance:
    • Speed: 550+ mph (890+ kph) at impact
    • Range: n/a
    • Minimum Altitude: 195 ft (60 m)
  • Warhead: 330 lb. (150 kg) penetrating high-explosive