There's also the matter of the Opening Theme. Now on the region 1 DVD and the Cartoon Network run of the series the opening is a mishmash of sound-bites backed by a standard looped techno beat. It's typical of the Toonami opening sequences that are produced by Williams Street (who also produced this new opening). However, in the original series, the show opens with a gloriously cheesy japanese pop theme entitled "Tobe! Gandamu" (or Fly! Gundam).

It's kind of amusing to me that some folks who are big supporters of the franchise (especially since its' recent stateside resurgence) will defend nearly every aspect of the show and pretend to be "representin' the old school", but when the weirdest aspect of the show come up, they act disgusted and treat it like it should have never existed. In doing that, it feels like they want to try to divorce the show not only from its' heritage as a wholly japanese show, but from its' heritage as as a giant robot series with a deliciously tacky opening theme. Anyways, if you want to watch the opening with original theme intact, you can download it in Quicktime format (sorry, I don't know where it's available otherwise) from http://www.toonamiarsenal.com/download/msg/msg-jap.mov As of June 9, 2002 it's down for 10-15 days. You can always search for any number of Mobile Suit Gundam websites to find the mp3 or video clip as well.

And the lyrics! Can't forget the lyrics. I don't have a reliable english translation yet, so what's below is in romaji only for right now (courtesy of about 5 or 6 places out there). Also, the intro features verses 1 and 3 of the song, the second verse is in the song on the CD Gundam Singles History.

Moeagare
Moeagare
Moeagare Gandamu
Kimi yo Hashire
Mada Ikari ni moeru Toushi ga aru nara
Kyodaina teki o Ute yo Ute yo Ute yo
Seigi no ikari o Butsukero Gandamu
Kidou Senshi Gandamu Gandamu

Tachiagare
Tachiagare
Tachiagare Gandamu
Kimi yo Sakebe
Mada Zetsubou ni shizumu Kanashimi aru nara
Kyoufu o haratte Ike yo Ike yo Ike yo
Uzumaku chishio o Moyase Gandamu
Kidou Senshi Gandamu Gandamu

Yomigaeru
Yomigaeru
Yomigaeru Gandamu
Kimi yo Tsukame
Mada Ai ni furueru Kokoro ga aru nara
Heiwa o motomete Tobe yo Tobe yo Tobe yo
Ginga e mukatte Tobe yo Gandamu
Kidou Senshi Gandamu Gandamu


Ugh, I feel like a big stinky otaku after that wu.