Harold and Maude is my favorite movie. Besides its impressive Cat Stevens soundtrack, Harold and Maude is notable for portraying mental illness in an irreverent but realistic manner. Harold's neuroticism extends through his Freudian relationship with his domineering mother to his infatuation with Maude, a relationship based more on Harold's conception of Maude as a substitute mother/authority figure. Harold completes his Oedipal desire by having intercourse with Maude, perhaps an attempt to break free of the times his mother controlled his every coming and going, using cars and gifts as bribes (however controversial the act). This climax devolves into Harold's estrangement from Maude, culminating in her suicide. The viewer, not fully sure as to the status of Maude, may have the sense of imperfect action -- a past continuous action.

Most striking is the juxtaposition between religion and psychotherapy in this film. Harold is sent for his weekly appointments to the psychotherapist; his decision to marry Maude is ultimately judged by a Catholic priest. The therapist advises Harold not to marry under the watchful eye of Freud, the shadow antagonist of the work. Yet this decision is confirmed by the priest who is protected by a photograph of Pope Paul VI in exactly the same spot as Freud was in the therapist's office. Harold never seems to escape the confusion of double messages, his relationship with an overprotective mother never reconciled by his affair with a widow, his religion contradicting and confirming the psychoanalytic currents that have run deep into his life.

I view Harold and Maude as a trip into my own neuroses, a disorienting journey through what might happen in my worst nightmares. This movie may have done a great service in putting non mentally ill people in the position of riding the waves of manic depression.