Playing QuakeWorld was an experience. When it first came out, online gaming over the net was still sort of a new thing, and it felt like it needed something to make it grow up. Quakeworld was that thing. Ads did a great job of describing it above, but there needs to be a little more explaination.

Back in the day, I played Quake; a lot of quake. I was on a really good college LAN for the time, and that meant that my clan was all good to play as a low-ping team. A couple of teams we had to play were on modems, or a couple of times I played while I was at home. QuakeWorld was evil, and prediction was the name of the beast.

You see, you'd get a great framerate if you were the only one in the room. Predicition would suceed, and you could roam around freely, without a care in the world. It was wonderful. But when it came down to actually trading rockets, the experienced QuakeWorld fiend would get the experienced LAN Quaker every time; prediction would fail, and your aim would be off. QuakeWorld, you see, needed a new mentality: don't fire where they are, fire where prediction says they will be. People who got more used to the prediction algorithms, and how they felt in-game got really good at exploiting them; not only to run faster, but to nail players while in that first burst of lag when another player is around.

It definitely took some getting used to. Luckily I was slightly immune on my LAN, and the teams we played were basically other college kids, so we didn't have to worry about it. QuakeWorld was the 56K modem user's dream, but the LAN player's nightmare.