It's well past time for all of us upstanding citizens who enjoy an occasional puff of pot or dose of psychedelics to stand up and say "I work hard, I vote, I pay my taxes, and I use drugs. The War On Drugs is wrong and I won't fund it."

The problem with this idea is that instantly you get labeled as a child killer by the opposition. It is hard to win public opinion when all you have to call the opposing side is "Drug haters" when the other can call you "Drug dealers" and "Kid killers". You have to have extremely good arguments to overcome names like that. What do people pay attention to when they watch the news? The person spouting their stance on the issue or the people with the signs chanting? Once the average American sees slogans like those above, immediately most decent citizens will take that side. We have all been taught throughout our lives that drugs are bad. Drug dealers are the worst thing to have on your block. While some of us have been enlightened, most still faithfully believe what they have been brainwashed into thinking. Who wants their kids to get addicted to drugs and die? Who wants a drug dealer in the area who will increase crime, chances of your kids getting into drugs, etc?

The place to start is not to go for an all out war against the war on drugs. Rather, we have to go for those programs that are brainwashing our children first. Even that will be extremely hard, not to mention the time it would take. What kind of parent would want to remove a "highly acclaimed program that gives kids the skills they need to avoid involvement in drugs, gangs, or violence"? (from the D.A.R.E. educator's webpage) Go to a school meeting, say that, and see how many side with you...