I filled out Lord Brawl's bio questionnaire right after I read it. Before I jump into the questions, I have two things to say. 1.) I think it would be a great experience to be an editor, and I think I could do a good job of it in subject areas about which I know a fair bit (video games, science fiction, programming, other assorted geek things). 2.) My enjoyment and continued presence here is in no way contingent on somebody giving me magic buttons.


List 3 to 5 writeups that epitomize what's special about everything2.

  1. Ed Stories - sam512 wrote a wonderful sci-fi epic set in a believable world. The stories are mostly self-contained, and each individual piece is short enough to read in its entirety in one sitting. Sam, if you're reading this, you don't have to hurry, but please finish this story. I'm dying to know how it ends.

  2. Cap'n Crunch - Some factuals are boring. This is not one of those factuals. Nodes full of facts can be very entertaining, and this a great example of that.

  3. Gals Panic - A great factual with a fun mood. It's okay to write as though you're actually talking to the reader, and this node is stronger for it.

  4. Embedded System - What could have been a very dull explanation of what embedded systems are is given life and a humorous sense of urgency by glindsey. Not only was I entertained, but I learned something, too.

List 2 or 3 writeups with which you're most pleased

  1. A Modest Video Game Proposal - It was difficult to appear impartial here (as I personally think that Jack Thompson is crazy), but it was my goal to present the facts of this debacle, and I think I accomplished that.

  2. square brackets - This is the most difficult node I've ever written. I needed it to be funny because I only really had a paragraph's worth of information. Humor is hard. If you're good at it, please share with the rest of us.

  3. Carcassonne - This is one of my favorite games, and this node was a joy to write. Reading this (and its predecessor) makes me want to play the game again. Every time. Without fail.

List 2 or 3 writeups to which you would point users as an example of "how to write for e2."

  1. Everything FAQ - Everything is there, and everybody should read it at least once. Although, I really like the idea of making a short presentation for new noders that has been bouncing around the forum, too.

  2. Embedded System - Set a tone, and stick with it. This node works because it's slightly off-kilter the entire time. Tone and mood add more to a node than perfect grammar ever will. You can /msg grammar fixes, but it's a lot harder to just "fix" the style of a piece.

  3. A Modest Video Game Proposal - Be impartial when the situation calls for it. Also, always remember to cite your sources and references.

When are you available on e2?
Assuredly, Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM Pacific time. I'm on other times, too, but I can pretty well guarantee that one in my current situation.

Are you a mentor? If not, why?
I am on the mentoring team (unless I misunderstood the /msg), but I have no mentees as yet.

Are you a subject matter expert?
I know a fair bit about video games, science fiction, programming, Star Trek, HTML, formatting, and miscellaneous nerd stuff.

Are you active in any user groups?
I am an active member of VideoGames. I listen to the conversations in iNode and Veggie2, but I don't usually have much to contribute there (so far I've only got an iPod, and my wife is the vegetarian on team Last).

Is there anything else you'd like the world to know?
This place is many different things to many different people. To some, e2 is people; to others, it is a writer's haven. I think it's a combination of the two. Sometimes I go for weeks without writing anything. That's because I'm in the chatterbox. Man, do I ever love the chatterbox. Where else could you go from talking about how great boobies are to talking about why men don't wear dresses to work to talking about meter maids with questionable morals?

So, what is e2 to me? E2 is fun, and I think that's enough.