Everyone on E2 was at one time a new user. I've been around for almost a year and have learned a lot about what survives in this universe. Read the Quick Start and Everything FAQ. Doing so will save you a LOT of needless grief.

The tutorials are very important for having your projects survive. Most write ups get nuked for failing to follow proper formatting. I bumped my nose on these requirements in my first attempts at posting, had a couple destroyed. I almost took a hike, thinking to myself "Yeah, that's what I really need, having to learn all this to simply post a write up." Well, yeah, that's right, you actually DO have to learn a few things or the powers that be will weed out your efforts. It's a pain in the posterior region but it's also the way things work.

My failures were balanced out by some fellow noders attempts to get me on track. These are real flesh and blood humans who gave enough of a damn to help me past my birthing pains, held my hand until I could take a few steps, and have clapped their hands in glee to see me run.

I've posted something close to 150 write ups in less than a year, had some success, wrote some abject failures. I've made a few friends, tried to help a couple people newer than myself. It's been a give/get relationship. It's been a lot like real life in that way.

There has been a lot of bewailing the shortage of new talent these days. I can't address that, my track record is far too short. What I can address is my own experience. It's a community, and in every community there are angels and devils. People will help if you ask. People will volunteer even if they aren't asked. What is required is that the one being helped take the advice, not as a personal criticism, but as a critique on your work. The thin of skin won't deal with it in a graceful fashion.

There are some GREAT writers who put their work on E2. You can benefit by association, if nothing else. What will generally not happen is people will not kiss your derriere, no matter how lovely it may be, for the privelege of your company. It's like a bar. You can come in, sit down, make yourself comfortable, have a good time. You can meet people, learn how things work in this bar, find your niche. Start a stink and the bouncers will show you the door in one way or another. Maybe you'll get dumped on your ear.

It's a fun place to play, really it is. I've enjoyed my time here and my wager is you can also. It takes a little time, a little effort. The effort is worth the candle. Stick around, give it a go...if after a year you've not seen the value of this playground feel free to call me a big fat liar.