Also known as the Amphitheatrum Flavium. It was built during the Flavian dynasty and dedicated by Titus in A.D. 80. In it there were games lasting 100 days, which were described by Martial (On the Spectacles). The estimated capacity was 50,000. Material used was stone and concrete, and dimensions were 188/156 meters. Admission was free but spectators were seated according to a strict class-biased protocol.

The exterior facade had Tuscan, or Doric, columns on the ground level, Ionic on the second, and Corinthian on the third (the 4th level was an attic for waving banners and had Corinthian pilasters). There was access from the ground level to any other level and easy egress via 76 exits. The seats sloped towards the arena ("sand") and focused the crowd's attention. The structure was based on groin vaults, on deep concrete foundations.

The best seats were next to the arena and reserved for senators (this section included the emperor's imperial box). The zone one level higher was for the equestrians, then sections for clients (plebeians), public guests, and at the very top, women. There was also an elaborate underground system of passageways and cages for the gladiators to transport the beasts.