In Denmark, drawing and quartering was a punishment separate from the actual means of execution, and inflicted subsequently, upon the body of the executed individual. Once the execution had been carried out, ropes were attached to each limb, and tension applied to the ropes - usually by teams of horses - tearing the body into four parts. However, the "drawing" part was sometimes left out, and the body simply chopped into the requisite number of parts by the executioner.

The parts of the body were then usually placed on wagon wheels which were attached to long poles. These poles were then placed prominently near the place of execution, to deter and dismay any other would-be felons.

As in many other states of the time, drawing and quartering was usually only applied in cases of treason. The last instance of the punishment being applied in Denmark was on April 28, 1772. Friederich Johann Struensee (previously count, physician to the king, lover of the queen, and all-but-dictator in the weak-minded king's name) and his accomplice Enevold Brandt, convicted of conspiracy to treasonously control the mentally-ill absolute monarch of Denmark, Christian VII, and of physically laying hand upon the royal person, were sentenced (three days before execution), as follows:

"...skal den højre hånd af ham levende afhugges og dernæst hans hoved; hans krop parteres og lægges på hjul og stejle, men hovedet med hånden sættes på en stage."

("...shall the right hand of him be severed while he be still alive and thereupon his head; his body be divided into parts and laid upon wheel and pole, but the head with the hand be placed upon a spike.")

As Struensee and Brandt were noblemen, they were executed by decapitation, not by hanging (as commoners would have been). Before the sentences were carried out, their coats of arms were publicly broken by the executioner. The reason for the hand being cut off while still alive was punishment for the separately treasonous act of physically assaulting the royal personage.


The executions, by the way, took place on Øster Fælled (the "East Commons") in Copenhagen, about five minutes' walk from where I live, today. A little bit of local history, to me, like the mass grave I live on top of (3000+ plague victims from the 1711 epidemic).