Setting up for planetfall at M'slaidia was treacherous. The world was completely enshrouded in debris of all shapes and sizes, though most was on the smaller side. The least massive items tended to be farther from the atmosphere, of course, and there was a general increase in overall mass and density the lower one went.

Navigating the middle levels was made easier because most of the umbrellas came open on ascent, for some reason, and thus they tended to sweep out clear lanes amongst all the orbiting keys and watches and pens and such. Above those levels it was a mixed bag, as all the permission slips and receipts and work orders and memos were invisible to radar, but they were of such low mass that one could pretty much just plow through them. Any bits that snagged on antennas and docking apparatus would burn up on descent through the atmosphere anyway.

Eyeglasses, of which there were untold millions, occasionally caused problems with imaging systems and solar sails when they would align with the system's star just right and focus the light on sensitive surfaces. There had been studies on retrieved debris that resulted in formulae for determining how long an item had been in orbit by counting the surface scorches from passing glasses.

The apparel layer, which had an indistinct upper boundary with the umbrellas' domain, was clotted with hats and galoshes, raincoats and sweaters, windbreakers and scarfs, and a surprising quantity of undergarments. Individual articles had too little metal to reflect radar scans sufficiently, but since apparel tended to clump (static electricity) the aggregate reflections were easily discernable and displayed a tell-tale signature, so steering around them was mostly automated.

M'slaidian scientists had been studying the 'forgotten items in space' phenomenon intently in the hundred years since the planet was terraformed and colonized, but they had made little progress. The stereotypical tendencies of 'absent minded scientific types' were exacerbated by their immersion in the very environment they were studying, and much ground had to be covered over and over. The concensus was that the accretion disc of the nearby black hole, which the system's sun orbited at some 197 AU, gave out weak electromagnetic pulses at a frequency close to that of the theta waves of the human brain. The atmosphere of M'sladia still retained a rarified remnant of the original ultra weak plasma it had before the terraforming, and the mental stress of those who had temporarily lost vital accessories resonated with the pulses from the accretion disc, setting off vorticies in the plasma which would somewhow sweep up those items and propel them skyward. In the early days of the colony the effects had been inconsequential, with papers moving across the room or keys falling from tables, but when the millions had arrived on the first waves of transports, the combined energy caused the vorticies to coalesce, like dust devils, punching up higher and higher, setting up standing waves around the cities and establishing persistent pathways for all the flotsam to ascend clear into orbit.

The most perilous were the outermost orbital levels, those seemingly free of debris. Passengers were strongly advised to sleep or be sedated during planetary approach or departure, though many resisted because they wanted to see the spectacular caul around the planet and the lovely seas and cloud patterns below. The problem was that those who were conscious had a truly bewildering clamor of stray, seemingly meaningless thoughts flood their minds. Dates, addresses, names, numbers from every point on the line would all intrude on their inner monologues. The theta pulses swept up synaptic patterns most easily of all. Moreover, facts and figures forgotten by travelers while in orbit were the strongest and loudest, since they had lost little energy reaching escape velocity; the seeming contextual relevance of the factoids was often enough to trigger full scale panic attacks and set off additional waves of forgetting.

Quite often travellers who stayed awake for the descent then found themselves in the arrivals terminal luggage carousel with no idea which bag, if any, was theirs; from time to time a lone straggler would wander out to the mag-lev depot with no idea what destination to ask for; these cases were why visitors were required to submit detailed itineraries before arrival and the terminals were so well-staffed with compad-toting guides. Transport crewmembers essential to the landing and ascent processes were the only ones who weren't sedated, but they were dosed with specialized psychotropics that rendered them little more than robots for that phase of the journey.

The rest of the Hegemony seemed to pay little mind to the problems of this backwater planet, given the inherently difficult trade and communication problems.

When the M'sladia region was overtaken by the Pakraticon Horde, it was hardly noticed.