Had to start the day by asking my ex-wife for a favor. That's not cool. I needed her to watch one of our girls (we have two, one full custody a piece), because the babysitter is sick. She made it out like I was asking her to donate a kidney. Watching your own children should not be considered too much of a favor -- especially when I pay her child support even though we both have the same child care expenses.

A snippet of the conversation:

me: You do anything today?
her: No. What do you want?
me: Could you watch Henri?
her: Ohhhhh!! Come on. Why can't you take her to the babysitter?
me: Sue's (the babysitter) sick.
her: I hate when you do this. Why can't you find someone else?
me: You're her mother!
her: You're just doing this because you don't want to pay the babysitter. This is twice in two months now...
me: How many times have you dropped off Claire on short notice in the last two months (actual answer: 5)?
her: A few but that's different. Your sister's (she lives with me) around to help.
me: And why do you drop her off? (Actual answer: to go to the bar, which as a musician the ex can almost claim to be work -- if she visited more than one bar -- or at least one bar that had music occasionally.)
her: (realizing she's in a corner) Why isn't important.
me: So it's ok for you to drop Claire on me on short notice so you can go on a date, but me going to work and not being able to get a babysitter is a big problem?
her: LOOOONNNNNGGGG RANT about how hard her life is, and what an inconsiderate asshole I am.
me: I'm gonna go now. Watch her please.
exit me: without using a swear word directed at the ex.

As if my going to work, while she sits around her apartment (that I pay for) all day, somehow causes her harm. She's got no income other than what I pay her and her music money (total CD sales this month 3. It's been a good month for her). I knew I was marrying a musician but this is ridiculous. I thought I was lazy. Fuck scorn, hell hath no fury like a lazy woman given responsibility.

My dilemna, and the reason that I'm bitching here instead of at her, is simple. I refuse to take it out on my kids. I'm not gonna put them in the middle of parents who can't stand each other. I'm gonna take my fucking crow and eat it. 8chez and Resey (my chosen nicks for them) don't need to know how angry their mother's wasted potential makes me.

Hey if you read this far... wow!

In other news, they found water on Mars. They've got a picture that shows what appears to be a recent (<50 year old) geological formation that they're pretty sure was caused by liquid water on the surface of Mars. Apparently Mars has something along the lines of "ice volcanoes" where pressure from the top layers of ice keeps the water just underneath the surface liquid. When the pressure shifts, the liquid water will sometimes "explode" to the surface. I will take any comers at 5 to 1 that there is what we call "life" on Mars right now. Not some weird ass silicon creature, but straight up bacteria and lichen -- that sort of thing. Water + pressure(heat) = Life.