I don't remember why I set my alarm early, but that's irrelevant. Tom will get up when he wants to get up, and today that just happens to be five minutes before his first lecture.

On my hurried way towards the lecture theatre, my fellow English Lit. student in tow, I catch sight of someone I know. She looks angry, but before I can stop myself my arm is waving in front of her face. She glares at me, then resumes her stomping in the opposite direction. Her friend waves at me, smiling apologetically, before rushing off to soothe her.

Someone else I recognise! I don't quite remember his name, but what I do know is that he is on his way to once again try, and fail, to chat up one of my flatmates. My smile wishes him godspeed - he returns a sheepish grin, and carries on.

Another boring English lecture ends, and ten minutes early at that. One of these days, I'm going to have to stop doodling or reciting songs with my pen, and actually make some worthwhile notes. My friend, sitting next to me, looks like the same thing is going through her mind. It's her fault I stayed up until 3 in the morning watching movies, and so it's her fault is I don't pass English!

I have a superstition, formed over the past few months I've been at university. As soon as I step outside my house, I need to recognise and greet someone I know, or I'll have bad luck. On the other hand, the more friends I see, the better my day will be. The latter might have less to do with superstition than I previously thought.