One of the most critical products processed, packaged and distributed by the Golgi Complexes is new material for the membranes of the cell and its organelles. Membrane lipids and proteins, synthesized in the endoplasmic reticulum, are delivered to the Golgi complex in vesicles that fuse with it. Within the cisternae of the Golgi complex, the final assembly of carbohydrates with proteins (forming glycoproteins) and with lipids (forming glycolipids) occurs; these carbohydrate combinations found on the surface of cell membranes are thought to play key roles in membrane function. Current evidence indicates that different stages in this chemical processing occur in different cisternae of the Golgi complex, and that materials are transported from one cisternae to the next via vesicles. After that chemical processing is completed, the new membrane material is packaged in vesicles that are targeted to the correct location, whether it be the cell membrane or the membrane of a particular organelle. In plant cells, Golgi complexes also bring together some of the components of the cell walls and export them to the cell surface where they are assembled.

And now for something completely different:

I look into the finance box just to check my status
I look into the microscope, see Golgi Apparatus
Golgi, oh, woe is me, you can't even see the sea
Golgi, olgi, oh ooo olgi Golgi
Golgi

They call him Lysasome cause he runs so fast
Runs like a junkyard dog with a brain of brass
Golgi, oh, woe is me, you can't even see the sea
Golgi, olgi, oh ooo olgi Golgi
Golgi

I saw you with a ticket stub in your hand
Under the light, middle of the night
Couldn't get it wrong so I had to...

-Phish, Golgi Apparatus