I love decent sausages. So many varieties! So easy to cook! Plus, the sausage shop in the Covered Market isn't prohibitively expensive. But as a student, I can't go more than a few days without craving some form of pasta with tomato sauce. So, let's marry the two!

Ingredients

  • a couple of sausages per person.
  • half an onion (preferably red) per person. If you're feeding an odd number of people, round up. You can never use too many onions.
  • a bunch™ of cherry tomatoes, halved.
  • a few cloves of garlic (if you're into garlic).
  • half a glass or so of red wine.
  • pasta. Shells are nice!

In a frying pan, brown the sausages for ten minutes or so in a little olive oil. You want them to be just cooked through. Take them out of the pan and stick them on a plate for safe-keeping. (If your house-mates are anything like mine, you should probably consider hiring armed guards.)

Dice the onions (and finely chop the garlic) and fry them in the same pan. After a few minutes, throw in the tomatoes. Let them reduce for a while, then chop up the sausages into chunks and put them back in the pan, adding the wine and whatever herbs take your fancy. (You could also add some tomato purée if it looks anæmic.) Simmer for fifteen minutes or so.

Meanwhile, you have presumably boiled your pasta. Drain it, put it back in its pan, add the sauce, mix, serve, eat.

Cheese

If curdled milk is your bag, it too can get involved. You could grate some “hard cheese” on top; a better idea is to add some soft goat's cheese rather than the wine, and let it melt in. Mmm.