The northern line is one of the routes on the London Underground. It’s coloured black on the tube map. It mainly runs from the north to the south, but meanders somewhat along the way.

In 1998 when the Northern Line was being re-furbished and delays were frequent, Londoners would joke black was the colour of death. The old rolling stock did not have sufficient ventilation – the sluggish trains were responsible for a number of heat related injuries.

This has to be one of the most confusing services on the underground. The main difficulty comes from the fact that it branches and re-joins itself twice. The Northern Line actually seems more like two lines that share a few stations.

The northernmost section is divided into the Edgware branch and the High Barnet branch.

These meet up at Camden Town, and then split up again at Euston:

The west branch is called the Charing Cross Branch – it takes passengers into the west end. You can get to Tottenham Court Road, Leicester Square, Charing Cross and Waterloo.

The east branch is called the Bank Branch – it veers off towards Islington, and then into the City.

The Bank and Charing branches re-unite at Kennington and continue down along the single section to the Northern Line’s southernmost station Morden.