Some people still have the illusion that Python is just a "toy-language" just because it was designed to be syntactically clear and easy to learn. Although it might have been true before, I don't feel that today's Python has had to make any compromises that limit its power of expression. Unlike many other modern languages, Python has garbage collection, lexical scoping, simple generators, iterators and several tools for functional programming such as list comprehensions and lambda functions. Also, you should not forget Jython (former JPython) that allows Python and Java interoperate seamlessly and produces Java class files from Python source.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but for me, Python has the most beautiful syntax I've seen in any programming language. Although many experienced programmers dislike Python's lack of block delimiters, it removes unnecessary clutter from the source code. Using, for example, the C-like {...} brackets makes it easier to write a parser, I claim that the human eye instinctively sees the indentation first and foremost. How many programmers have been bitten by the following piece of code?

if (a < b)
    b = 0;
    ++a;

By making indentation part of the syntax ensures that what you see is always what you get.

It all has a price, though. Especially after the addition of real garbage collector, Python programs run considerably slower than an equivalent program in C or even other interpreted languages such as Perl or Java. For most tasks, however, increased programming productivity makes up for the lack of program efficiency.

What I'm ultimately trying to say is that Python makes an excellent first language for someone who has never programmed before, but at the same time it is a powerful tool for professionals looking for a good generic language.