root@galaga simonc# date
Mon May 28 20:07:21 EST 2001
root@galaga simonc# uptime
8:07pm up 44 days, 3:35, 2 users, load average: 0.26, 0.15, 0.06

Cool day, my first full working day at my new job. Projects! /me loves projects! heh.

Rode my bike to work this morning, leaving the house at 6:30am, in subzero temperature. Me, ever the dummy, realised 50 metres into the ride that my summer gloves with no fingers were probably a bad idea for Canberra pre-dawn bicycling... Upon arriving at Manuka, my hands were icicles.

The coffee scene at 6:45am in Manuka is not so good. Only the new Starbucks, which I have been passing-by since the few weeks it's been open (it's the first in Canberra and one of the first in the country -- the chain has only been here since the Olympics late last year).

Now, I've consumed plenty of fine Starbucks beverages in the USA and Japan (the sandwiches in Japan are particularly fetching), but a Starbucks in Australia is like, well, really odd and out of place. And damn if I'm going to order a bloody "Americano", a term completely foreign to Australian coffee lovers...

Anyway, so in I go. Without a look at the board, I ordered two long blacks. I was delighted when the waitress didn't even blink. I stole a look at the board to see that the dread "Americano" was titled

LONG BLACK / AMERICANO

Yay for common sense! "What size?" was the next question. Hmmm. "Ummm, small, please". "You mean "short", she corrected me. "Umm, okay."

The order was called out. "Two short long blacks."

Heh. Love corporate foodservice.

Dinner tonight: Spicy enchiladas with organic beef and fresh corn kernels, beans 'n' rice, and a nice crunchy salad dressed in lime juice and toasted sesame seeds. And a beer. Gemma is pleased to have me home, and in the kitchen...


DAILY PANTS: KHAKI DKNY JEANS
DAILY SONG: "RELAX-A-VOUS" BY DEAN MARTIN